I created this recipe as I wanted something to go with a teriyaki steak I was cooking. Hence I wanted something that gave me veg and some carbs in one dish without too much fuss. I also wanted something that had complementary flavours to the teriyaki while not being overpowering in itself. So, here it is, my Asian Style Noodle & Courgette Salad.
This dish works really well as a side, or you could add something to it to make a more substantial salad – some grilled salmon would work really well (I will definitely be trying this). Alternatively you could have it on it’s own for a light and healthy lunch.
I’m a huge fan of Eastern Asian food (well, all Asian food actually). Having visited Japan a couple of times, I fell in love with Japanese cuisine in particular. The last couple of weeks I’ve had some pretty strong Asian food cravings – hence the need to cook the teriyaki beef with something of equal Asian influence to accompany it. I’d love to hear your thoughts if you try it.
This is a great salad to take to work – it doesn’t need any re-heating and tastes great cold. Just portion it into Tupperware boxes and grab straight from the fridge when needed.
Mandoline Slicer – With Cut Resistant Gloves
Nest Measuring Cup/Spoon Set
GoEat Salad Box
Asian Style Noodle & Courgette SaladCourse: Lunch, SidesCuisine: Salad, AsianDifficulty: Easy
A fresh and light Asian style courgette & noodle salad, packing in some great healthy veg including carrot, edamame, cucumber and courgette. Dressed with fresh coriander and lemon, this is a lightly flavoured salad perfect as a side dish or light lunch!
40g carrots, julienne
40g cucumber, sliced into very small batons
small handful of coriander, finely chopped
juice of 1/4 lemon
small pinch of chilli flakes
1tsp olive oil
1 clove garlic, crushed
50g edamame beans
50g medium thickness rice noodles
50g courgette, ribboned using a spiraliser, or sliced into thin strips with a speed peeler
- In a large bowl, mix together the carrots, cucumber, coriander, lemon juice, garlic, chilli flakes and olive oil (the first 7 ingredients).
- Bring a pan of water to the boil and add the edamame beans. Cook for 3 minutes and then remove with a slotted spoon and transfer to a bowl of ice cold water. Snap the noodles into smaller pieces and add to the same water and cook for 5 minutes (or as per packet instructions).
- Drain the noodles and add to a bowl of cold water. Once cooled add the drained edamame and noodles into the mixing bowl and stir everything together well. The mixture can be left in the fridge for 2-3 days if you don’t want to serve immediately. Feel free to serve the noodles warm if preferred.
- When you are ready to serve, heat a small frying pan or griddle pan and briefly saute the courgette – they will need barely a minute or two being constantly moved around the pan. You don’t want them to go too soggy.
- Mix everything together and serve!
2 Thoughts on “Asian Style Noodle & Courgette Salad”