Braised red cabbage with apples – A tangy twist on this classic side dish that is sure to add a pop of colour and flavour to your dinner table! This side dish will complement many dishes – in particular a good roast chicken.
The default recipe serves one (around 3/4 cup per portion)
- 80g / 2.8oz red cabbage (around 1/4 of a small-sized head)
- 1/2 large red onion, diced (35g / 1.2oz)
- 1/2 green apple, deseeded and diced (60g / 1.8oz)
- 2 tsp light brown sugar (10g / 0.3oz)
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Cut out the core of the cabbage and remove the outer leaves. Slice thinly with a mandolin on around a 3mm / 0.1 inch setting. If you don’t have a mandolin then strip off the leaves, lay them flat and slice as thinly as you can.
- Place the cabbage, onion, apple, sugar and balsamic in a large saucepan. Place over a medium heat until it starts to smoke a little and you can hear a bit of a sizzle. use a spoon to turn frequently for a couple of minutes then cover and reduce the heat to low.
- Leave the cabbage to slowly sweat for around 1.5 hours.
- Serve immediately or store in the fridge for up to 3 days.
It might look like there is no liquid in the pan when you first place it over the heat – don’t worry, as it cooks it will reduce a little liquid to steam it and soften.
Don’t be tempted to be healthy and skip the sugar as it will be very sour. You can replace the sugar with powdered sweetener however.
You can swap the mustard for a different flavour if you prefer – great options are cinnamon, nutmeg or allspice – especially if it’s going on a festive table!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 1.5 hours
- Category: Side
- Method: Hob
- Cuisine: British
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 115
- Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 28g
- Protein: 1g
Keywords: cabbage, vegetarian, side, balsamic, healthy,