This rich and glossy balsamic glaze is perfect for jazzing up so many dishes. Drizzle it on salads, spoon it over chicken or serve it with olive oil for a delicious bread dip.
The default recipe makes around 4 tbsp, depending on how much you reduce the vinegar.
- 250ml (1 cup) balsamic vinegar
1. Add the vinegar to a small pan and bring to a simmer. Keep at a simmer for 10-15 minutes until the liquid coats the back of a spoon and is slightly thick.
2. Remove from the heat and leave to cool. It will continue to thicken when cooling. If you feel the consistency is too liquidy then return to the heat for a few minutes.
- The glaze can go from bubbling away to burnt in a matter of minutes so watch that pan like a hawk!
- While you can easily thicken up a glaze that is too thin, it’s very difficult to thin an over-done sauce, so it’s best to remove from the heat (and cool and check) earlier than leaving it and ending up with a gloopy glue like syrup.
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Sauce
- Method: Hob
- Cuisine: italian
- Serving Size: 1 tbsp
- Calories: 65
- Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 17g
- Protein: 0g
Keywords: balsamic reduction, balsamic glaze, sauce, dip, vinegar, dressing