When I worked at the restaurant we used to serve ‘Med Veg’ as an accompaniment to a couple of our dishes and it was always a huge hit. Ever since these Balsamic Mediterranean Roasted Vegetables have been a staple of mine when I’m cooking chicken or fish and want something healthy and tasty on the side.
Mediterranean Roasted Vegetables for One
This is the perfect side dish for one – it takes mere minutes to prepare. And once you’ve chopped everything it can all be thrown on the same baking tray and cooked together.
If you are planning on making only one portion then, unless you’ve bought really small vegetables, you will probably end up with quite a lot leftover. Because of this I tend to make it in batches of at least 2 and then reheat. You can keep it in the fridge for up to 4 days and reheat in the oven or microwave. You can also freeze them (see below).
Can Roasted Veg be Frozen?
You can freeze and then thaw and reheat roasted Mediterranean veg. You may find that the veg is a little softer after freezing though. If you don’t mind that then go ahead! Otherwise you can freeze and then make a delicious blended sauce out of your leftovers when you thaw.
What Can You Serve Balsamic Roasted Vegetables With?
Roasted vegetables are super versatile and will go with so many things. Given the balsamic flavouring they are best with mildly flavoured chicken, meat or fish dishes – such as a roast. A good piece of meat or fish plus a side dish of potatoes (of any variety) are the perfect options for this vegetable dish.
Can Roasted Vegetables Be Served Cold?
You can definitely eat all of this cold. Personally, I don’t think that all roasted vegetables are as tasty when cold. I love cold roasted peppers in a salad, or even cooled cooked onion. But I find aubergine and courgette so much nicer when they’re hot. It really is personal preference though and if you fancy making extra roast veg so you can toss it into a salad the next day, then it’s a great time saving idea.
Products that work well for this recipe
Mandoline Slicer – With Cut Resistant Gloves
Veggie Saving Reusable Bags
Veggi storage containers
Fresh, flavoursome and healthy Mediterranean roasted vegetables. Flavoured with rich balsamic vinegar and oregano – easy and delicious!
- 1/2 small to medium aubergine (around 75 g once top & tailed)
- 1/2 large orange or red pepper/capsicum (around 75 g once desseded)
- 1/4 medium to large courgette (around 75 g)
- 1/2 large red onion, top & tailed and skin removed (around 50 g)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 garlic cloves
- 1/2 tsp oregano
1. Preheat the oven to 200C / 400F
2. Slice all vegetables into medium pieces – around 2 inches wide. Slice the onion into eights (8 pieces from a full onion, 4 from a half).
3. Mix together the olive oil, balsamic vinegar and garlic
4. Line a baking tray with foil. Spread the vegetables over the top – spreading them out so they don’t overlap too much.
5. Drizzle with the olive oil, balsamic and garlic mix. Season with salt and pepper and sprinkle over the oregano. Using your hands, toss the vegetables around a little to coat.
6. Place in the oven for 30 minutes
7. Serve and enjoy – yum!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Calories: 200
- Fat: 15g
- Carbohydrates: 20g
- Protein: 4g
Keywords: roasted vegetables, side dish, mediterranean, balsamic, oregano,