These BBQ pulled jackfruit sandwiches are so delicious, you’ll never believe they don’t contain meat! Served with healthy kale coleslaw.
The default recipe serves 1
- 4 fresh jackfruit ‘pods’, seeds removed and cut in half (around 100 g)
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 100ml vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp BBQ sauce
- 1 sandwich or burger bun
For the kale coleslaw:
- 1/4 small red onion, very thinly sliced
- 1 small handful kale, leaves stripped and finely chopped
- 1 small chunk of red cabbage (around 20g), very finely sliced
- 1 tbsp extra low-fat mayo
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
1. Preheat the oven to 200 C / 400 F
2. In a pan (large enough to spread the jackfruit out so they aren’t overlapping too much) add everything but the bbq sauce. Bring to a simmer and then reduce the heat a little and cover. Cook for 15 minutes.
3. Tip the contents of the pan onto a foil-lined baking tray or into a wide baking dish. Using two forks, ‘shred’ the jackfruit so it’s in strips. Stir in the BBQ sauce and place in the oven for 15 minutes.
4. While it’s cooking make the coleslaw by combining all the ingredients in a large bowl. Get the buns ready to toast as soon as the jackfruit is ready.
5. Serve on a toasted bun with the kale coleslaw piled on the top.
- While I used fresh ripe jackfruit, you can also use tinned ‘young’ fruit. This will actually give a less sweet and less soft result.
- If you are looking for a vegan option then you can dress the slaw with vinaigrette dressing or a vegan-friendly dressing.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Lunch
- Method: Hob / Oven
- Cuisine: British
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 360
- Fat: 4g
- Carbohydrates: 65g
- Protein: 11g
Keywords: sandwich, fruit, vegetarian, healthy, coleslaw, bbq