A beautifully creamy and warming broccoli and cauliflower soup. Top with parmesan wafers and freshly chopped herbs for added flair and flavour!
The default recipe serves one.
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/4 medium brown or white onion, roughly chopped
- 100g / 3.5oz broccoli florets, roughly chopped
- 100g / 3.5oz cauliflower, roughly chopped
- 250ml / 1 cup veg stock
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp whipping or double cream
- 1 tsp horseradish (optional)
- 1 tbsp freshly grated parmesan
- 2 sprigs of parsley, leaves stripped and finely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F. Heat the olive oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. When hot add the onion and saute for around 4-5 minutes until softened and a little translucent.
- Add the broccoli, cauliflower, stock, horseradish and lemon juice to the pan and season well. Bring to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes or until the cauliflower is soft.
- While the soup is cooking spread the parmesan into small circle shape over a baking tray lined with baking or parchment paper. Place in the oven for 3-4 minutes until melted. Leave to cool.
- Remove the soup from the heat and add the scream. Use a stick/immersion blender to blitz into a smooth but thick texture.
- Serve with the parmesan wafer on top and the parsley scattered over.
- Use freshly grated parmesan rather than pre-grated. The pre-done stuff has emulsifiers added to help stop it sticking, which also prevents it from melting properly.
- The horseradish is optional, so can be left out. Or you can add more lemon juice, or even some mustard, to add extra flavour.
- Frozen broccoli or cauliflower also works well, just extend the simmering time by 1-2 minutes.
- The parmesan wafers can be moulded when still warm, to add extra curve or shape. Or you can also place the parmesan over the back of a spoon before placing in the oven (just make sure the spoon has cooled before handling).
- Category: Soup
- Method: Hob
- Cuisine: British
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 200
- Fat: 14g
- Carbohydrates: 11g
- Protein: 7g
Keywords: soup, healthy, broccoli, cauliflower, vegetarian, parmesan, lunch, freezable, starter