This cheesy pasta combines an indulgent and silky 3-cheese sauce with rich garlic and oregano. It’s also super simple to pull together!
The default recipe serves 2.
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 170g / 6 oz spaghetti, or pasta of your choosing (see note 1)
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 40g mild cheddar, grated (see note 2)
- 30g parmesan, grated
- 40g gruyère cheese, grated
- 60ml / 1/4 cup single / whipping cream
- 1 tsp dried oregano or mixed herbs
- few pieces of chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- Cook the pasta in well-salted boiling water for a minute less than the package instructions. Drain and retain the water as you’ll use it later (see note 3).
- Add the olive oil to a large pan over medium-high heat. Saute the garlic until golden and then add the pasta.
- Add the cheese to the pan along with the cream and a splash of the pasta water. Stir everything together until the cheese has melted into a sauce. Add more pasta water, a little at a time, until you have the consistency you want.
- Spoon onto plates and then scatter with the chopped parsley if using.
- You can use any kind of pasta that you want. I typically use spaghetti or linguine because the sauce literally clings to the individual pasta strands. You can alternatively use a variety that will trap the sauce in grooves or holes (such as fusilli or rigatoni).
- You can swap any of the cheeses for any meltable cheese you prefer.
- Make sure to retain and use the pasta water as the starch it contains will help the sauce to stick together and become silky.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Hob / Stove
- Cuisine: Pasta
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 550
- Fat: 21g
- Carbohydrates: 62g
- Protein: 25g
Keywords: pasta, cheese, parmesan, gruyere, cheddar, comforting, indulgent, vegetarian