I love, love, love paella. And I love, love, love Chroizo! While I’m usually more of a fan of traditional, seafood paella, it’s a lovely treat to have this chicken & chorizo paella version. It’s so rich from the chorizo has such an amazing flavour from the saffron and paprika. Absolutely yum and an amazing bright colour that brightens any table!
I made this with skin on, bone in, chicken thighs. While not the healthiest, thigh meat is so tender and the skin helps to keep the meat super juicy. Chicken thighs don’t have the best ‘rep. They have DOUBLE the fat content of chicken breast (whaaat!). But, you will be relieved to know that they don’t have that much more saturated fat than breast meat. So it’s not actually as bad as you may believe. I say once in a while it’s ok to treat yourself. You could make this with chicken breast though, if you did feel like trying to be good. Although, let’s face it, if you are making a dish with a healthy serving of chorizo, it’s probably not the chicken that you should be worrying about.
This is a pretty easy dish to make. You can’t rush it too much as you need to give the rice time to soak up all the lovely stock, but it only requires one pan. Perfect for reducing washing up!
You can make a few portions of this and keep in the fridge for a couple of days to reheat – which is what I tend to do. You can also freeze portions, so it is a good dish to make in bulk. If you do freeze it then just make sure that you get it in the freezer as soon as possible after cooling. (I wouldn’t recommend keeping it in the fridge for a couple of days then freezing). When reheating, make sure that it is piping hot all the way through. You can reheat in a microwave or in a pan over the hob. Just a warning that rice is actually one of the most common foods for food poisoning, so be careful you have reheated it well and frozen it quickly.
Are you as big a fan of chorizo as me? Try this Spanish Chorizo Pasta recipe – another of my faves!
Products that work well for this recipe
T-fal Nonstick Pan
Lazy Wooden Spoon
Chicken & Chorizo PaellaCourse: DinnerCuisine: SpanishDifficulty: Easy
A rich and indulgent chicken and chorizo paella. Flavoured with saffron and paprika for warmth. A huge hit for any paella, chorizo or rice lover!
small pinch of saffron
1 bone-in, skin-on chicken thigh (around 90g)
50g chorizo, finely sliced
1 clove garlic
50g diced bell pepper (around 1/4 pepper)
150g spanish paella rice
1/2 chicken stock cube, made in 200ml water
100g tinned chopped tomatoes
1/4 lemon – juiced and then sliced in half to serve
50g frozen peas
1/4 tsp paprika
- Heat a drizzle of olive oil or a few sprays of low calorie cooking spray in a frying pan/skillet over a high heat. Meanwhile add the saffron into a small cup with 1 tsp of warm water.
- Add the chicken thigh, skin side down, and cook for 3 minutes, then flip and cook for 3 minutes on the other side. Remove from the pan and set aside on a plate.
- Add the chorizo to the pan and cook for 3-4 minutes. Add the garlic and pepper to the pan and cook for a further 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Add the rice to the pan with the paprika and stir to coat in the juices. Cook for a further couple of minutes Add the stock along with the tomatoes, saffron (including the water) and lemon juice. Bring to a simmer and add the chicken and chorizo back to the pan.
- Cook for around 15 minutes and then add the peas. Cook for a further 15 minutes or until all the liquid has been absorbed by the rice.
- Serve with the lemon slices as garnish, and some parsley scattered over, if you are feeling fancy (optional)