This Chicken Pathia is a favourite in British Indian restaurants, Tender chicken breast simmered in a sweet and sour sauce rich with earthy spices.
The default recipe serves 4
For the sauce
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 2 tsp ginger paste
- 1 tsp paprika
- 4 tbsp tomato puree (tomato paste in the US)
- 2 tbsp mango chutney
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 500ml water
For the curry
- 500g chicken breast, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2–4 small red chillis, finely chopped (see note 1)
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp fenugreek seeds (see note 2)
- 2 tsp tamarind paste
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- First, make the sauce. Heat half the oil in a large frying pan/skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook for around 5 minutes until softened.
- Add the garlic, ginger and paprika and cook for a further minute, constantly stirring, until fragrant.
- Tip the contents of the pan into a blender or food processor along with the tomato puree, mango chutney, lime juice and water (see note 3)
- Add the remaining oil to the pan and return to the heat. Add the chicken and cook until browned all over.
- Add the chilli, cumin and fenugreek seeds and cook for a further minute, constantly stirring
- Pour the blended curry sauce into the pan along with the tamarind and sugar. Bring to a simmer and cook for a further 10 minutes.
- Increase or decrease the amount of chilli you use based on your heat preference. You can also add a little extra chilli powder if you want a very spicy curry.
- Fenugreek seeds can be substituted for fennel seeds or mustard seeds or left out altogether if you can’t find a reasonable substitute.
- A blender will give a smoother more uniform sauce, whereas a food processor will give a little more ‘chunk’ and a rustic appeal.
- This recipe can be made in advance and kept in the fridge for up to 3 days. It can also be frozen for up to 3 months. Defrost thoroughly before reheating on the hob/stove.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Hob / Stove
- Cuisine: Indian
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 337
- Fat: 5g
- Carbohydrates: 20g
- Protein: 40g
Keywords: curry, Indian, chicken, dinner, easy, medium hot, spicy