*This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclaimer here. While we may use affiliate links, we would never allow this to influence product listings or recommendations.
This soup is super hearty – packed with warming chorizo and al-dente orzo. It’s a tomato-y, warming and delicious. This chickpea & chorizo soup is a great option when you need a bit of heat or some extra oomph to get you through the rest of the day.
Can you make it in advance?
This is best made fresh, and since most of the ingredients don’t require much prep (other than opening tins and a tiny amount of chopping) there isn’t a huge benefit in pre-prepping anyway.
If you do have leftover or want to take it to work with you then you definitely can – but the orzo might be a little more on the ‘softer’ side.
How many calories are in it?
This chickpea & chorizo soup has 550 calories and is quite a substantial meal. It contains a healthy dose of carbs from the chickpeas and orzo, protein from the chorizo and some healthiness from the tomato and kale.
Chorizo is also quite a ‘fatty’ sausage, but extremely flavoursome – a little goes a long way. If you want to reduce calories and fat then you could halve the amount.
What kind of chorizo should I use?
This is based on using Spanish dry-cured chorizo. You may also find Mexican chorizo (especially if you are based in the US). You can absolutely use this instead, however fry it for a few minutes before adding it to the soup.
For this chickpea and chorizo soup you just need a few simple ingredients:
- Tinned chopped tomatoes
- Vegetable stock
- Chorizo (see notes above for the type of chorizo) – chopped. I recommend slicing into 1cm pieces and then cutting each piece in half
- Dried orzo
- Kale, shredded
- Sweet paprika
If you want a lighter option then you could omit the orzo which will reduce by around 190 calories.
Cabbage or spinach can also be used in place of the kale.
How to make it
This is ridiculously easy to make. One pan, less than 10 minutes of prep and 8 minutes of cooking time. Simply add the tomatoes and stock into a pan and bring to a simmer.
Next, add the rest of the ingredients and cook for 8 minutes and you’re done!
If you are looking for other great soup recipes then check out:
- Slow cooker leek and potato soup
- Sweet potato and red pepper soup
- Slow cooker coconut chicken soup
- Polish zurek soup (also a great sausage soup!)
Products that work great for this recipe:
Beeswax Food Wraps
Lazy Wooden Spoon
Leak Proof Soup Bowl
This is a bold and hearty chickpea & chorizo soup. Tomatoey and warm and ready in under 20 minutes, this is the perfect lunch option when you need a little heat!
The default recipe serves 1
- 200g (7oz) chopped tomatoes
- 250ml (1 cups) vegetable stock
- 50g (1.7oz) chorizo sausage, peeled and sliced into 1cm pieces and then halved
- 60g (2oz) tinned chickpeas, drained and rinsed (around 1/4 standard can)
- 50g (1.7oz) orzo
- 25g (1 cup) shredded kale
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
1. Add the tomatoes and stock into a large pan and bring to a simmer.
2. Once simmering add the chorizo kale, paprika and chickpeas and season well. Cook for 8 minutes (or according to the length of time on the orzo packet).
3. Serve and enjoy!
- For a lighter option, make this without orzo (and avoid a mid-afternoon carb slump)
- You can use cabbage or spinach in the place of the kale if you prefer
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 8 minutes
- Category: Lunch
- Method: Hob
- Cuisine: Soup
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 550
- Fat: 22g
- Carbohydrates: 58g
- Protein: 25g
Keywords: lunch, soup, chorizo, orzo, pasta, tomato, kale