A cherished school dinner classic, the cornflake tart is simple, easy, and requires just a handful of ingredients. Great to enjoy with a cup of tea,
The default recipe serves 10-12
For the Pastry (alternatively use 250g/10oz of readymade shortcrust pastry):
- 250g / 9oz plain flour
- 125g / 4.5oz unsalted butter, cold & cut into cubes
- 50g icing sugar
- pinch sea salt
- 2 tbsp cold water
- 2 egg yolks, beaten
- extra plain flour, to dust
For the tart:
- 50g unsalted butter
- 120g / 4tbsp golden syrup
- 25g / 2tbs light brown sugar
- 100g cornflakes
- 100g / 4tbsp strawberry jam (see note 1)
- Tart tin with a removable base that is around 24cm in diameter. These 3 pie dishes with removable bases are a good option (the middle-sized one is perfect for this recipe).
- Baking beans (you’ll need these for blind baking if making a tart), or you can also use raw rice. These baking beans from Amazon work great!
First, make the pastry (jump to step 7 if using readymade):
- Sift the flour and icing sugar into a bowl and add the butter. Rub the butter into the flour with your fingertips, until it resembles breadcrumbs (see notes 2, 3)
- Add the water and the egg yolks and mix everything together until just combined.
- Wrap the dough in cling film and place in the fridge for 30 minutes. (see note 4)
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F and roll the pastry out with a rolling pin. It should be big enough to fill the tart tin with a 1-2 inches extra round the edges.
- Carefully roll the pastry onto the rolling pin and then unroll it over the tart tin. Press it in around the edges gently so that it fits flush against the sides. Roll the rolling pin over the top of the tart tin so that the pastry is ‘cut’ neatly. Remove the excess.
- Prick the base of the pastry all over with a fork and then press a large sheet of baking paper into it (see note 5). Add some baking beans or uncooked rice and bake in the oven for 15 minutes. Remove the baking paper and beans and then return to the oven for a further 10 minutes.(see note 6)
Next, assemble the tart:
- Melt the butter, syrup and sugar in a saucepan. Add the cornflakes and gently stir everything together until the cornflakes are coated.
- Spread the jam evenly to cover the bottom of the pie.
- Spoon in the cornflake mixture into the bottom of the tart and gently press it down with the back of a spoon or a spatula.
- Bake the tart in the oven for 5 minutes. Cool before slicing.
- You can swap for any flavour of jam you prefer, or even Nutella or lemon curd.
- Don’t overwork the butter and flour as you don’t want the heat from your fingers to melt the butter.
- You can alternatively use a food processor to mix the butter, flour and sugar.
- Chill the pastry for at least half an hour, but ideally 1-2 hours. You could alternatively put it in the freezer for 15 minutes to speed things up if you are short on time.
- It is easier to work with the greaseproof paper if you scrunch it up first and then unfold it.
- If you use rice to blind bake the pastry then you can store it in a jar and use it next time you need to blind bake (it won’t be suitable for cooking after baking).
- The tart can be kept in an airtight container at room temperature for 2-3 days, although it will start to soften over time.
- Prep Time: 50 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: British
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 293
- Fat: 13g
- Carbohydrates: 40g
- Protein: 3.5g
Keywords: dessert, school dinner, cornflakes, kids, easy, jam, simple, classic