*This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclaimer here. While we may use affiliate links, we would never allow this to influence product listings or recommendations.
This courgette (zucchini) soup is thick and flavoursome. It’s rich with the flavour of basil and a dollop of light cream cheese, yet is unbelievably good for you and nutritious. It’s also perfect for freezing and takes less than 30 minutes to prepare, so why not whip up a batch today?
Do I need to peel the courgette?
Courgette/zucchini skins actually contain most of the nutrients found in this vegetable, so they are even better for you when the skin is left on.
You do not need to peel courgettes before using them for any purpose. Simply wash and then slice off the top and tail of the vegetable. Not only is this useful and easier for cooking, but courgette skins actually contain most of the nutrients found in this vegetable, so they are even better for you when the skin is left on.
Secondly, around 95% of the flesh of courgette is water, so if you do peel them before using they will likely turn very mushy and soft. Not particularly important if you are making a soup like for this recipe, but useful information for your next courgette dish!
If you have a lot of courgettes that need using up you can also check out these delicious halloumi and courgette fritters, or this Asian-style noodle and courgette salad.
Can you freeze it?
This soup is perfect for freezing. Allow to fully cool before portioning into freezer-proof containers with a lid. Freeze for up to 3 months and defrost before heating on a hob/stove or in the microwave.
Leftovers can also be kept in the fridge for 3 days. Again, cool before refrigerating and store in a tightly sealed container.
You’ll need a few simple ingredients for this soup (you can also jump to the printable recipe card for full measurements):
- Courgette – roughly diced
- Onion – white or brown
- Basil leaves – although you can use dried basil, fresh works better for this soup
- Low fat cream cheese
- Your choice of toppings – I used toasted sesame seeds, a splash of single cream and some small basil leaves for the soup pictured
Substitutions & Additions
- You can skip the cream cheese for a lighter option or if you are vegan. Or you can use a vegan-friendly alternative.
- While the sweetness of the basil goes really well in this soup, you can use some freshly chopped parsley instead.
- A little grated ginger gives an extra flavour which is extremely delicious! You can also combine with fresh coriander instead of the basil to give an Asian-inspired flavour.
- If you like a bit of heat then you can add a pinch of chilli flakes to the finished dish.
How to make it
- Firstly, heat the olive oil in a medium saucepan (or large if you are making several portions). Add the onion and the courgette and gently sauté until softened.
- Add the garlic and cook for a further minute.
- Add the stock and increase the heat so the pan reaches a simmer. Cook for a further 10 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and then tear in the basil leaves. Use a stick (immersion) blender to blitz into a thick, even, consistency.
- Stir in the cream cheese until fully combined and then season to taste. Spoon into bowls. Garnish as you prefer with toasted sesame seeds, a small drizzle of cream or small basil leaves.
If you looking for more great vegetable-based soup recipes then you might also want to check out:
- Carrot and coriander soup
- Sweet potato and red pepper soup
- Slow cooker leek and potato soup
- Butternut squash soup with honey creme fraiche
- Sweet potato and horseradish soup
Products that work great for this recipe:
Food Hugger Set
Soup n Sauce Freezer Bag
Leak Proof Soup Bowl
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 1 1x
- Diet: Vegetarian
This courgette soup is thick and hearty, yet light in calories and fat. It’s flavoured with sweet basil, onion and garlic, with a good dollop of cream cheese to add extra creaminess.
The default recipe serves one.
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 250g courgette, roughly diced
- 1/2 medium onion, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1/2 cup vegetable stock
- 4–5 fresh basil leaves
- 1 tbsp light cream cheese
- to garnish (optional): toasted sesame seeds and a drizzle of cream
- immersion/stick blender
- Heat the olive oil in a medium-sized saucepan over high heat. When hot add the onion and courgette and saute for around 8-10 minutes until softened.
- Stir in the garlic and cook for a further minute.
- Add the vegetable stock and increase the heat to bring to a simmer. Cook for a further 10 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and tear in the basil leaves. Use an immersion/stick blender to blend everything together into a smooth mixture and season to taste. Once blended stir in the cream cheese until fully incorporated and spoon into bowls.
- If you want to freeze the soup then allow to cool before transferring to freezer-proof, sealed containers. Store for up to 3 months in the freezer and reheat in the microwave or on the hob (stove) until steaming hot.
- To make this soup vegan then omit the cream cheese or use a vegan cream cheese alternative.
- For an added kick add a few chilli flakes to the soup before serving.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Soup
- Method: Hob / Stove
- Cuisine: British
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 165
- Fat: 8g
- Carbohydrates: 18g
- Protein: 7g
Keywords: soup, courgette, zucchini, low fat, healthy, vegetarian, lunch