I love just about any dish that’s in a good creamy sauce. In fact it’s not been so long since I shared a dish that used the same sauce as this for the base. See my Gnocchi with Creamy Bacon Sauce for more inspiration. Anyway, I had a bunch of roast potatoes left over from a Sunday lunch, and I wanted to make something that I could serve with them that would have a load of lovely sauciness for the potatoes to soak up. Most of the recipe is based on things you probably already have in – milk, yogurt, mustard, herbs, Parmesan (you can use the ready grated kind). I always tend to have chicken breasts in the freezer which helps (they are all sold in packs of 3 or 4 here in Dubai – hello, single person!) This Creamy Spinach and Tomato Chicken seemed like the ideal choice!
This dish takes 30 minutes from start to finish – including prep and cooking. You can make this even quicker if you want to use a ready made white Alfredo sauce or (if you are in the UK and can’t find it, a lasagna sauce with some grated Parmesan cheese mixed in when you heat it.)
While I made this with reheated roast potatoes, you could easily serve with other varieties. A good old bowl of mashed or baked potatoes would go great. It also would go really well with pasta or gnocchi – a super versatile dish! I made a couple of portions and it reheated well in the microwave (in a lightly covered dish). You won’t have any issues with freezing and eating within 2-3 months.
T-fal Nonstick Pan
Automatic Pan Stirrer
Microwave Pasta Pot
Creamy Spinach & Tomato ChickenCourse: DinnerCuisine: ItalianDifficulty: Easy
A semi-low fat creamy, cheesy and herby chicken dish that’s extremely versatile. Serve this Creamy Spinach and Tomato Chicken with potatoes, pasta, gnocchi – whatever way you choose!
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp cornflour
1/2 chicken stock cube, made in 200ml water
30ml semi skimmed milk
30g low fat yogurt
25g parmesan, grated
handful parsley, chopped
35g onion, diced
170g chicken breast (around 1 large breast)
50g cherry tomatoes, halved
- First make the sauce for the dish. In a small saucepan heat 1 tsp of olive oil over a medium high heat and then add the tsp of cornflour. Whisk quickly until the cornflour is fully mixed into the oil.
- Add the stock to the pan and whisk well. Then add the milk and stir in. Cook for 2 minutes keeping the pan at no more than a simmer.
- Add the yogurt to the pan, a spoonful at a time, whisking each addition until it’s full mixed. Once all the yogurt is added mix in the Parmesan and whisk again until fully combined. Cook for 2 minutes and then scatter in the parsley and remove from the heat. Set aside.
- Add a large non stick frying pan to a medium high heat. Add a dash of olive oil or a few sprays of a light cooking spray. Once the oil is hot add the onions and cook for around 2 minutes, until softened.
- Push the onions to the side of the pan, and if you can manouvere the pan so that side is not directly over the heat. Now add the chicken breast over the part of the pan over the heat. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Flip the chicken breast over and cook for a further 2-3 minutes. Make sure that the onions are not burning.
- Add the sauce and cherry tomatoes to the pan and then the spinach. Stir everything together well and cook for around 10 minutes. Serve over your choice of potatoes, pasta, or even rice!