I don’t know what it is about having something served on a stick, but it makes the whole eating process more fun, and seem somewhat more exotic. I had some leftover new potatoes which needed eating and I was considering making yet another potato salad, when I decided that it would be far more fun to make them into a kebab with some chicken. Enter these curried chicken kebabs.
I made two versions of these when I was testing them. One with turmeric and one with mild curry powder. They were both amazing and I found it hard to decide which to publish. I’ve decided I’ll mention both so you can decide. The ones pictured are made with Turmeric as it did give a more vibrant colour than the curry powder method.
These are actually pretty healthy to boot. They are made with low fat natural yogurt, freshly squeezed lemon juice and flavoured with the curry powder/turmeric and some ginger and garlic. The addition of chopped mint adds a beautiful cooling element to the dish. They would go perfectly with a nice fresh and crisp salad. I also made extra sauce to dip them in which was just beautiful!
You can make a couple of portions of these and either store in the fridge until you are ready to cook, or cook and then serve cold after. You could even make them with leftover cooked chicken breast – simply coat in the sauce and warm in the oven for 5-10 minutes.
I’d love to hear if you make these!
These products work well for this recipe
Tabletop Portable Grill
Kebab Grilling Baskets
Beeswax Food Wraps
Curried Chicken KebabsCourse: DinnerCuisine: KebabDifficulty: Easy
Beautiful curried chicken kebabs that taste and look great! Made with curried natural yogurt, freshly squeezed lemon juice and chopped mint – a real winner, and pretty healthy too!
100g baby new potatoes, raw
50g low fat natural yogurt
1/4 tsp minced ginger
1/4 lemon, juice and zest
1/4 tsp turmeric or mild curry powder
1 clove garlic, crushed
small pinch chilli flakes
125g raw chicken breast
wooden kebab skewers
- Add 2 wooden kebab skewers into a tall glass filled with water. Preheat the oven to 180C / 350F.
- Place the new potatoes in a bowl of cold water. Bring to the boil and cook for 10 minutes. If you have already cooked potatoes then skip this step.
- Mix the yogurt, ginger, lemon juice and zest, turmeric or curry powder, garlic and chilli flakes in a bowl. Mix well.
- When the potatoes are cooked drain and let cool slightly for a few minutes. Add the chicken and the cooled potatoes into the yogurt mix and coat well. See note 1.
- Add the chicken and potatoes onto the skewers, alternating each. Place on a lined baking tray and place in the middle of the oven. Cook for 10-15 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through. See note 2
- Serve with a crisp green salad!
- If you want to make extra sauce (not included in the ingredients) then keep this separate from the bowl you put the raw chicken in. Yes, obvious I know, but just saying!
- You can also grill this on a BBQ which is even more delicious!
One Thought on “Curried Chicken Kebabs”