I love fruity curries and stews, and anything with coconut milk in it! Therefore I decided that I wanted to create a recipe that was a little like a Thai curry but with the fruity sweetness of mango. I tried a few variations of this before landing on this version of this easy slow cooker mango chicken. It’s absolutely delicious – and you could easily make a vegetarian version if you wanted.
What are the ingredients in Slow Cooker Mango chicken?
This slow cooker mango chicken combines chicken, red pepper, mango and crunchy cashews. It’s simmered gently away in a creamy sauce of coconut milk, flavoured with garlic, turmeric, paprika lime, jalapenos and gherkin.
The gherkin might seem like a strange addition but trust me it really works. I promise you it does not taste like gherkin – it adds an extra dimension to the flavour. With the mango it’s a bit of a ‘sweet and sour’ effect. The mango also kind of dissolves into the sauce to add to the fruitiness.
Is this recipe healthy?
The great news is that this recipe is not only easy, but very healthy to boot. It uses lean chicken breast along with mango and red pepper. Mango is high in vitamin A and C and is also packed with fiber – making it great for digestion.
The recipe is also a little spicy – and there have been numerous studies on the benefits of spicy food. It’s been proven that eating moderately spicy food can help increase the metabolism and also help to kill bacteria. Turmeric itself is a powerful antioxidant.
Can you freeze Slow Cooker Mango Chicken?
This mango chicken is perfect for freezing and frozen portions will keep for up to 3 months. If you are cooking for one then you can batch cook a few portions.
It will also keep in the fridge for up to 3 days.
What to serve with Mango Chicken
I personally like this with steamed basmati rice, but it will also go super well with noodles. It’s quite a saucy chicken – and as it’s reminiscent of Thai style curries it is quite liquid-y. Therefore it’s perfect in a steaming bowl of rice or noodles.
Products that work well for this recipe
Cole & Mason Mezzaluna / Herb Chopper
Cole & Mason Herb Keeper
Sear and Stew Slow Cooker
A delicious fruity and warming slow cooker mango chicken stew. Packed with fresh, Asian flavours and incredibly easy to make.
- 1 small chicken breast (around 120 g), sliced
- 1/2 medium mango (around 100 g), diced
- 1/2 red pepper (around 75 g), thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp cashew nuts (around 20 g)
- 1 tsp chopped jalapenos, roughly chopped
- 1 small gherkin (around 15 g), finely chopped
- 100ml coconut milk
- 1 tsp lime juice
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 small handful coriander, roughly chopped
1. Prepare all the ingredients as listed above and add the chicken, mango, pepper, jalapenos, gherkins and cashew nuts to the slow cooker.
Mix together the coconut milk with the lime juice, paprika, turmeric and garlic. Pour over the chicken and season well.
Cook in the slow cook on low 6 hours or high for 3-4. Just before serving stir through the coriander, keeping a couple of pinches side to scatter over the plated dish. Serve with freshly steamed basmati rice – delicious!
- This is a fairly spicy dish. Adjust the amount of jalapenos, paprika and turmeric to taste.
- You may think that the gherkin seems an odd addition to the recipe – trust me, it works! It gives a nice ‘sweet and sour’ element to the dish with the sweetness of the mango. You can omit it if you really aren’t keen on the idea!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 3-6 hours
- Category: Curry
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: Thai
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 330
- Fat: 9g
- Carbohydrates: 32g
- Protein: 35g
Keywords: thai, coconut milk, curry, stew, chicken, slow cooker, mango