The first taste is with the eyes! I constantly have that saying in the back of my head when I’m cooking, more so when I’m doing a recipe that I’ll be photographing for this blog. It’s a lot of pressure to make things that will look so good that people will want to lick the screen. But I love it, and I love the creativity it inspires – even in me, a self confessed spreadsheet nut who steers clear of anything artsy. This cream cheese, salmon & cucumber toast was a lot of fun to put together and it tastes every bit as good as it looks.
If you make this then you can absolutely just slice your cucumber and pop it on rather than rolling it up. If i was cooking it to eat just for myself then I absolutely would do that. But it is a lovely touch if you are making it for someone else and you want to impress.
The salty salmon in this recipe goes so well with the sweet creaminess of the cheese. The slightly sour rye bread providing the perfect base. All topped off with the fresh taste of cucumber and dill – yum!
This cream cheese, salmon & cucumber toast will take you 5 minutes to assemble – maybe 10 if you do the fancy cucumber rolling thing. It’s perfect if you have some leftover smoked salmon from another recipe. The instructions below make 2 decent slices but you could halve that and have it as a small snack instead. You could also make this on crostinis as a really cute canape idea.
If, like me, you’re a big fan of the cream cheese, smoked salmon combo, you might also want to check out these smoked salmon and courgette roses.
Products that work well for this recipe
KitchenAid Pro Line Series Automatic Toaster
Beeswax Food Wraps
Joseph Joseph Rotary Peeler
Fancy Cream Cheese, Salmon & Cucumber Toast – The salty salmon in this recipe goes so well with the sweet creaminess of the cheese. The slightly sour rye bread providing the perfect base. All topped off with the fresh taste of cucumber and dill – yum!
- 2 slices rye bread (around 45g each)
- 10g reduced fat margarine
- 2 tbsp light cream cheese
- 50g smoked salmon
- 80g cucumber
- 1 sprig fresh dill
- Lightly toast the rye bread and then spread with the margarine. Then evenly spread over the cream cheese. Top with the smoked salmon
- Using a speed peeler, peel the cucumber and roll each piece. Place on top of the smoked salmon. Feel free to simply slice the cucumber if you are short on time or just can’t be bothered – it will taste just as good!
- Lightly tear the dill and scatter over the top then finish with a dusting of freshly ground black pepper.
- Category: Lunch
- Method: Toast
- Cuisine: Sandwich
- Calories: 400
- Fat: 15g
- Carbohydrates: 31g
- Protein: 36g
Keywords: toast,smoked salmon,sandwich,fancy toast,salmon cucumber, cucumber toast,lunch