*This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclaimer here. While we may use affiliate links, we would never allow this to influence product listings or recommendations.
If you are a fan of blueberries, you’re going to love this salad! Salty feta, crispy celery and crunchy apple combined with sweet blueberries and grilled chicken breast. This Feta, Blueberry & Chicken Salad is perfect for a lazy summer afternoon.
Is it healthy?
This recipe is super healthy – blueberries packed with antioxidants, crispy veg, and a good dose of protein to keep you satisfied for hours. It also takes hardly any time to put together. The dressing is creamy and citrusy and so tasty that you won’t believe it’s made from low fat natural yogurt.
What can I serve it with?
This salad is great on it’s own. It makes a perfect lunch, or even a light dinner. To make it a little more substantial you could also add some crispy bread on the side.
If you omit the chicken then this is also a perfect side dish. It’s crunchy and light and great for serving along with grilled meats or fish. It’s also a great salad to serve at a BBQ.
Can you make it in advance?
This is a great recipe to take to work. Just dress it when you are about to dig in. You can easily prep a few days in advance and it will do well in the fridge. Just add the lettuce on the day you are going to eat it and don’t be tempted to dress it until the last minute.
For this chicken blueberry salad you’ll need a few simple ingredients:
- Olive oil
- Chicken breast, skinless and boneless – I like to grill the chicken breast fresh for this recipe. But you can also use leftover cooked chicken
- Lettuce – use whatever you prefer. I like this served with a mixture of baby spinach and rocket (argula)
- Fresh blueberries (defrosted frozen blueberries also work, but will be a lot mushier in texture)
- Feta – you can substitute this for goats cheese if you prefer.
- Red apple, diced. I like red as the sweetness goes with the sweetness from the blueberries. You can use green apple instead if you prefer a tarter flavour.
- Celery, diced
- Shelled walnuts, roughly chopped
- Baby spinach and or rocket/argula – you can swap this for any lettuce leaves you prefer
- Low fat natural yogurt – you can use regular yogurt, or greek instead if you prefer
- Chives, finely chopped. You can substitute this with parsley or basil if you prefer
- Lemon juice
- Red wine vinegar – make sure you use a good quality vinegar (or you can leave this out)
How to make it
This salad is super easy to make. Pat the chicken breast to dry with some paper towel and then rub a few drops of the olive oil over the flesh and season well. Heat the olive oil over medium-high heat in a frying pan or skillet and add the chicken breast to the pan. Cook for 12 minutes, turning every 4 minutes (for a thicker breast you may need a little longer).
Once the chicken breast is cooked leave it to rest for 5 minutes while you prepare the rest of the ingredients as directed. Mix all the dressing ingredients in a bowl and whisk until you have a smooth texture.
Mix the lettuce, apple, walnuts, celery and blueberries in a bowl. Pour over the dressin and toss everything together to coat.
Serve the salad mixture on a plate and then slice the chicken breast and serve it on top.
Products that work well for this recipe
Food Hugger Set
Beeswax Food Wraps
GoEat Salad Box
If you are a fan of blueberries, you’re going to love this salad. Salty feta, crunchy celery and apple combined with sweet blueberries and tender grilled chicken breast. A perfect summer lunch.
The default recipe serves 1
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 small chicken breast (around 120g / 4.2oz)
- 50g / 1.75oz blueberries
- 20g / 0.7oz walnuts
- 1/2 red apple, diced (around 50g / 1.75oz)
- 1 stick celery (around 60g / 2.1 oz)
- 30g / 1oz feta
- large handful of baby spinach, rocket (arugula) or other lettuce leaves
- 2 tbsp low-fat natural yogurt
- 5–6 chives, finely chopped
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp red wine vinegar
- Pat the chicken breast dry and rub a few drops of the olive oil into the flesh and season well. Add the remaining olive oil into a frying pan/skillet over medium-high heat. When hot add the chicken breast and cook for 12 minutes, turning every 4 minutes. If it’s a thicker breast it may need a little longer.
- Leave the cooked chicken breast to rest for 5 minutes while you prepare the rest of the salad. Prepare all ingredients as described and whisk the dressing ingredients together until you have a smooth texture.
- Add all the ingredients apart from the chicken breast into a bowl. Mix together until everything is coated with the dressing. Pile onto a plate.
- Slice the chicken breast and arrange on top of the salad.
- You can bake or poach the chicken breast if you want to avoid using the oil
- Use a good quality red wine vinegar – or you can omit it if you prefer also
- While the red apple adds a nice sweetness to the dish, you can add green apple instead for a tarter taste.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 12 minutes
- Category: Lunch
- Method: Hob
- Cuisine: Salad
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 460
- Fat: 25g
- Carbohydrates: 18g
- Protein: 39g
Keywords: salad, healthy, chicken, celery, summer, blueberries