This fish pie with egg is a delicious and balanced meal. Creamy sauce over fish and green veg. Topped with cheesy mash – yum!
The portion below is for one (see notes for the size of oven dish used). Simply multiply for as many portions as you want.
- 125g salmon, skinless (see note 1)
- 30g frozen peas
- 1 large egg
- handful of baby spinach leaves
- 1/2 lemon – juice
For the sauce
- 100ml milk
- 10g butter
- 10g plain flour
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 20g grated mature cheddar
- 1/4 tsp grated nutmeg
- few sprigs parsley, chopped
For the mash
- 150g floury potatoes – such as maris piper
- 1 tbsp sour cream
1. Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil. Peel the potatoes and cut into small chunks and add to the boiling water for 15 minutes. Add the egg for the last 8 minutes.
2. Drain and plunge the eggs into cold water and peel once cool enough to handle. Mash potatoes with the butter and sour cream and season well.
3. Next make the sauce. Melt the butter and add the flour, stirring constantly until you get a thick paste. Gently whisk in the milk and season well. Stir until thickened.
4. Next add the dijon, nutmeg, parsley and lemon juice to the sauce. Add all but 1 tablespoon of the cheese and then mix together well over a medium heat until the cheese has melted.
5. Wilt the spinach by placing it in a small frying pan over a medium high heat. You don’t need any oil. Stir and turn until wilted.
6. Cut the salmon into bitesized pieces and mix with the peas and spinach in the bottom of your baking dish. Place the eggs over the top and then spoon over the sauce. Top with the mash and sprinkle the remaining cheese over.
7. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes until bubbling hot and the top is golden.
1. I used salmon for this pie but you could absolutely use a different type of fish – or prawns. Or a mixture!
2. If you are making these in individual portions then the dishes I used were around 5 inches in diameter and 2.5 inches tall.
- Category: Pie
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: British
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 750
- Fat: 41g
- Carbohydrates: 39g
- Protein: 48g
Keywords: fish pie, salmon, pie, dinner, individual size, main, seafood, british