This freezable individual chicken pot pie recipe is totally yummy! It’s a super comforting dish – crumbly puff pastry on top of tender chicken and veg in a mustard cream sauce – yum.
Chicken pot pie for one
Chicken pot pies are such a great recipe for a busy midweek meal as you can prepare in advance and then just pop in the oven when you get home. As the name suggests – it’s also great for freezing so if you are cooking for one it’s easy to make a few in advance and then grab them out of the freezer as you need them.
Pot pies are also great for making as individual portions as you can scale them up or down as required. I made these in oven proof bowls which were around 5 inches in diameter and 2.5 inches deep. That really was a perfect individual portions size.
How do you freeze the pot pies?
To make reheating as quick and easy as possible then portion the pies before freezing in a oven safe dish. You can either use foil containers (which aren’t the most environmentally friendly option). Or you can invest in some oven and freezer proof bowls. I have included the ones (as you can see in the pictures) in the links below.
After cooking place the mixture into into the bowl(s) and let cool. Then you can either top with the pastry, clingfilm and freeze, or wrap in clingfilm without the pastry and freeze. Then you’ll need to do the pastry topping when you are ready to cook. If you are going to freeze with the pastry on top then use chilled pastry rather than sheets that have been frozen already as you shouldn’t refreeze once defrosted.
Remove the pies and place in the fridge 6 hours before you are going to cook. Then follow the oven instructions as below (20 minutes at 200C/400F).
How to serve individual chicken pot pies
As these pies contain protein, veg and pastry they are totally great as a meal all in one – you don’t need to add any side dishes. If you wanted to add a little something for variety then they go great with a crisp green salad.
If you are looking for more single serve pie recipes then also check out this individual shepherds pie.
Products that work great for this recipe
5 inch round foil bowls
Multi-Function Baker’s Gift Set
A creamy and indulgent individual chicken pot pie – perfect for making ahead and freezing. A mustard cream sauce coats vegetables and tender chicken for the perfect cozy dinner.
- 100g puff pastry sheets
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 50g onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 120g chicken breast
- 100g carrot, diced
- 40g celery, diced
- 10g flour
- 100ml chicken broth
- 30ml white wine
- 30ml thick cream
- 1 tbsp mustard
- 1 tsp chopped fresh thyme, plus extra for serving
- 50g frozen peas
- 1 egg, beaten
- Preheat the oven to 200C / 400F.
- Roll the pastry to around 0.5cm thick. Place the bowls face down on the pastry and cut a circle around each – around 2cm larger than the bowl.
- In a frying pan / skillet over a medium high heat add the olive oil. Cook the onion and garlic for 3-4 minutes. Add the chicken and cook until browned – around 4-5 minutes.
- Add the carrot and celery and cook for a further 5 minutes. Then add the flour and stir everything together well to coat. Cook for a further 2 minutes, but don’t let the flour burn.
- Add the broth and white wine to the pan and bring to a simmer. Continue cooking for 7-10 minutes until the sauce has thickened.
- Remove the pan from the heat and add the cream, mustard, thyme and peas. Stir everything together well and season well.
- Spoon the mixture into bowls, top with the pastry and brush with the egg.
- Using a sharp knife, cut a 2cm slit into the top of each pie.
- If cooking straight away, place in the oven for 20 minutes. Serve with a sprinkle of thyme over the top.
- If you are freezing the pie then use foil containers and cover with the pastry and leave to cool. As soon as cooled to room temperature cover with clingfilm and freeze immediately.
- When reheating from frozen, place the pie in the fridge for at least 6 hours before cooking as directed.
- Category: Pie
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 pie
- Calories: 650
- Fat: 31g
- Carbohydrates: 42g
- Protein: 48g
Keywords: pot pie, chicken, puff pastry, dinner, individual pie, mustard