Packed with veg and salty cheese, these courgette & halloumi fritters make a healthy and tasty recipe – perfect for a weekend brunch or midweek lunch.
- 200g courgette
- 100g halloumi
- 70g tinned sweet corn (drained weight)
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- pinch chilli flakes
- 1 spring onions, sliced
- 1 large eggs, beaten
- small handful of chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tsp olive oil
For The Dressing:
- 1 tbsp low fat natural yogurt
- small handful mint, finely chopped
- 1/4 lemon – juice & zest
- Grate the courgette and halloumi using a grater. Add the courgette and drained sweetcorn to a large sieve or colander and generously season with salt. Leave over a sink or large bowl for 30 minutes.
- Make the dressing mixture by combining all ingredients in a small bowl
- Wring out the courgette and sweetcorn mixture with your hands and place in the middle of a clean tea towel. Tightly roll up the tea towel and leave for 5-10 minutes to soak up the moisture.
- Mix together the courgette and sweetcorn with the flour, baking powder, halloumi, chilli flakes, spring onion, eggs and parsley. Season well with salt and pepper.
- Add the olive oil to a large pan over a medium high heat. Scoop dollops of the mixture into circles in the pan and press down with a spatula. Cook for 2-3 minutes on each side, until nice and golden brown!
- Serve with the yogurt dressing spooned over the top – yummy!
- Don’t be tempted to skip the steps to remove the moisture from the courgette (steps 1 & 2). You’ll end up with a soggy watery mixture – which just ain’t nice!
- To freeze portion the uncooked mixture into freezer bags. Defrost in the fridge for 4-6 hours before cooking then cook as per the directions above.
- This recipe makes around 4 fritters, which is 2 portions.
- Prep Time: 40 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Category: Brunch
- Method: Hob
- Serving Size: 1 (2 fritters)
- Calories: 300
- Fat: 17g
- Carbohydrates: 14g
- Protein: 18g
Keywords: courgette, fritters, halloumi, breakfast, brunch, cheese