Layered with squeaky, salty halloumi and grilled courgette ribbons, this warm halloumi salad is a super healthy and tasty recipe. Served with a honey and mustard vinaigrette it’s a great option for a lunch or light dinner.
Is this salad healthy?
In the main, this salad packs a lot of natural ingredients such as courgette, fresh cherry tomatoes, olives and onion. While courgette doesn’t contain quite as many nutrients as some other vegetables, it does contain strong levels of both potassium and vitamin C. While tomatoes are a great source of antioxidants.
Halloumi, as with most cheeses, does contain a lot of saturated fat. However, it also contains a decent amount of protein. This also means that it not only tastes great, but it will help you feel fuller for longer!
Do you need to cook the halloumi?
You can eat halloumi raw, but it is better to cook it first. This helps add flavour to the cheese, particularly when fried in a griddle pan until you get those great charred lines, which help impart a little grilled flavour into the cheese. The saltiness of the cheese is also less overpowering when cooked.
Not only that, but grilled halloumi also has a better texture than raw halloumi. It helps to soften the texture, resulting in a creamier consistency.
How do you cook halloumi?
When you cook the halloumi, don’t slice the pieces too thinly as it will dry out more quickly when fried or grilled. Also, don’t be tempted to overdo it. It only needs a short amount of time!
There are various ways you can cook halloumi. In this recipe, I outline using a griddle pan rather than a standard frying pan also adds extra visual appeal and flavour. However, you could also:
- Pan fry in a frying pan or skillet – cook for 1-2 minutes on either side
- Cook directly on a BBQ or cut into cubes and add to a skewer before barbequing for 1-2 minutes each side.
- Cook under a grill/broiler – brush with olive oil first and then cook for 4-5 minutes, turning regularly
You’ll need a few simple ingredients for this recipe. For a full list with measurements jump to the printable recipe card.
- halloumi – sliced into 1cm (0.3 inch) thick slices
- courgette – sliced lengthways very thinly – use a speed peeler for best results
- black olives – sliced in half or left whole
- cherry tomatoes – halved
- red onion – thinly sliced
- mixed lettuce leaves
For the dressing
- extra virgin olive oil
- dijon mustard
- red wine vinegar – use a good quality bottle!
How to make it
For detailed instructions jump to the printable recipe card.
- Mix together the dressing ingredients until well combined
- Brush a little olive oil over a griddle pan and place over medium-high heat. Grill the halloumi for 1-2 minutes on each side and then set aside.
- Grill the courgette for around 30 seconds on each side and then set aside before adding the onion and cooking for 3-4 minutes.
- Combine the courgette, olives, cherry tomatoes and onion in a bowl with the lettuce. Tear in the basil leaves and toss through the salad dressing. Serve with the halloumi placed on top.
Looking for more great salad recipes? Why not try:
- Avocado and prawn salad
- Healthy Waldorf salad
- Curried chicken salad
- Simple 3 bean salad
- Middle Eastern Tabbouleh salad
Products that work well for this recipe:
Beeswax Food Wraps
GoEat Salad Box
Joseph Joseph Tri-Peeler
This halloumi salad combines layers of grilled courgette with olives, cherry tomatoes and red onion. Flavoured with fresh basil and a honey and mustard vinaigrette, this makes a super tasty yet healthy meal!
The default recipe serves one.
For the salad…
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 60g / 2oz sliced halloumi
- 50g / 1.75oz courgette, sliced into ribbons (use a speed peeler)
- 1/4 medium red onion
- 6–8 black olives
- 3–4 fresh basil leaves
- 5–6 cherry tomatoes, halved
- handful of mixed lettuce leaves
For the dressing…
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp honey
- First, prepare all ingredients as outlined above and create the salad dressing by mixing all ingredients together until combined.
- Brush a little olive oil onto a griddle pan and place over medium-high heat. Add the halloumi and cook for 1-2 minutes on each side.
- Add a little more oil to the pan if needed and then add the sliced courgette, Cook for around 30 seconds before turning and cooking on the other side. Work in batches if needed so you don’t overlap the pieces
- Add the onion to the pan and cook for 3-4 minutes until softened.
- Mix together the courgette, cherry tomatoes, olives and onion in a bowl with the lettuce and tear in the basil. Season well and toss through the dressing. Serve with the halloumi slices on top.
- You can use a standard frying pan/skillet rather than the griddle pan
- Don’t cut the halloumi too thinly or it might dry out when cooking
- You can use any type of lettuce you prefer for this recipe
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Salad
- Method: Griddle
- Cuisine: Lunch
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 450
- Fat: 36g
- Carbohydrates: 16g
- Protein: 16g
Keywords: salad, healthy, courgette, lunch, light, halloumi, cheese, vegetarian