A healthy, low fat, low calorie, alternative to the popular take away dish. This Healthy Chicken Korma is really easy to make and mild yet flavoursome. Enjoy!
The default recipe serves one
- 3 tbsp (60g / 2oz) low fat natural yogurt
- 1/4 tsp cornflour / cornstarch
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 white or brown onion, sliced (around 50g / 1.7oz)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp ginger paste (or 1 x 1cm piece of ginger, grated)
- 60 ml / 1/4 cup water
- 1 chicken breast, cut into bite-sized pieces (around 125g / 4.5oz each)
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 cardamom pods
- 1 small stick or piece of cinnamon
- 1 tsp flaked almonds
- few sprigs of coriander, chopped
- Before you start to cook place the required yogurt outside of the fridge in a bowl to let it come to room temperature (which will help it combine well into the curry).
- Heat half the oil in a pan over medium heat. When hot add the onions and cook for around 8 minutes until they have softened and gone translucent. If the onions start to brown at the edges then the pan is a little too hot so reduce the heat. If they start to stick a little then you can add a splash of water rather than more oil.
- Add the garlic and ginger and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Transfer the onion, garlic and ginger into a food processor or blender (I actually find my immersion blender works best) and blend until you have a smooth paste. Add the water and blend again until fully combined.
- Add the remaining oil to the pan and add the chicken. Cook for around 5 minutes turning the pieces often until browned on all sides. Add the garam masala, cumin, turmeric, cinnamon stick and cardamom and season. Cook for a further 30 seconds to ‘bloom’ the spices while stirring to stop them catching. (this lets them release their flavour)
- Add the onion mixture into the pan and bring to a low simmer. It should be spluttering a little but not spitting out of the pan. Cook for a further 10 minutes until the chicken is cooked through, stirring regularly.
- While the chicken is cooking whisk the yogurt and cornflour together in a bowl until the yogurt is a smooth consistency.
- Reduce the heat on the pan to low and add the yogurt a spoonful at a time, stirring to make sure each addition is fully incorporated before adding more. Once all the yogurt is added then remove the cinnamon stick and cook for a final 2-3 minutes.
- Serve with the flaked almonds and coriander scattered over the top with rice and/or naan.
To stop the yogurt from splitting or curdling when you add it to the curry make sure to remember to bring it to room temperature before adding. Also make sure to not skip the step of whisking it with the cornflour. If it does curdle it’s not the end of the world and it’s still edible, but it doesn’t look as smooth.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Hob / Stove
- Cuisine: Indian
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 330
- Fat: 15g
- Carbohydrates: 13g
- Protein: 35g
Keywords: curry, indian, korma, healthy, yogurt, chicken