We are on complete lockdown in Dubai. Since last weekend we are not even allowed out for exercise. It’s a fact I’m glad of despite not particularly enjoying it. I’m glad that the government here in Dubai are taking a serious approach towards slowing the virus while the numbers are still relatively low. Hopefully we won’t see a huge growth like some other countries have. Another thing I have been very grateful for here is that the supermarkets have been pretty well stocked. I’ve not really felt the effects of panic buying and have been fortunate enough to get my hands on pretty much everything I’ve needed… Until last week. For the first time ever, I couldn’t get any fresh chicken breasts. My meal plan for the week was thrown off. I took to browsing what I could buy instead and landed on duck legs – delicious! Why on earth don’t I buy these more? If you can’t get chicken but you can still get duck then I definitely recommend giving these hoisin duck wraps a try.
Is this hoisin duck wrap healthy?
This is an averagely balanced lunch option. It’s packed with sliced spring onion, cucumber and fresh crisp lettuce. Duck is also a great source of protein and iron. However duck is very high in fat. You can remove the skin before eating (although I firmly believe that is the tastiest part) and that will reduce the calories.
This recipe also includes hoisin sauce which does contain quite a high amount of sugar. A little in moderation is fine but don’t overdo it! Finally the tortilla wrap doesn’t offer much in terms of nutritional value and are around 90 calories each. You can make this a little healthier by using whole wheat tortillas.
Tips for roasting duck legs
Duck leg is a lot easier to cook than most people think. It just takes a little time – but it’s so worth it for the beautiful tender meat and the amazing smell wafting around your house!
The instructions below cook the leg for 90 minutes. However you could easily cook it for a longer on a slightly lower temperature. It’s really hard to overcook duck legs. I find that 90 minutes is enough time to get them tender and the skin crispy. It doesn’t fall off the bone like it does when braised – but it’s still soft and delicious and great for a sandwich.
Dry the skin with a paper towel before cooking to remove excess moisture and also prick the skin all over. As the skin is quite tough you will probably find it easier to use a sharp skewer to do this rather than a fork.
If you are looking for other great sandwich/lunch options then check out this ultimate chicken club sandwich or this cream cheese, cucumber & smoked salmon open sandwiches.
Products that work great for this recipe
Kitchen Essentials Herb Planter
Cole & Mason Herb Keeper
Beeswax Food Wraps
Hoisin Duck Wraps
- Total Time: 1 hour 45 minutes
- Yield: 1 (2 wraps) 1x
Beautifully tender duck flavoured with delicious Chinese 5 spice. All wrapped up in a soft tortilla wrap stuffed with crisp green spring onion and cucumber and sweet hoisin sauce. Yum!
1 portion makes around 2 (well stuffed) small wraps…
- 1 small duck leg (around 200 g)
- 1 small cucumber (around 50 g) – cut into matchsticks
- 1 large spring onion (around 20 g) – ends cut off and cut julienne
- 1 tsp chinese 5 spice
- 1 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 2 6 inch tortilla wraps
- 3 leaves romaine/gem lettuce, shredded
- 1/4 tsp sesame seeds
- Few sprigs of coriander
1. Preheat oven to 180C / 350F
2. Prick the duck legs all over. Rub the duck legs with oil then season well and rub with the 5 spice.
3. Put the duck legs on a rack over a baking tray and cook for 90 mins until cooked through with no pink showing. The skin should be really golden and crisp. Remove from the oven and allow to rest for 15 mins covered with foil.
4. While resting, make the tortillas. Spread a strip of hoisin sauce on each tortilla. Layer over some of cucumber and spring onion and lettuce and a scatter of coriander.
5. Shred the duck using 2 forks and place over the wraps. Place a couple of sprigs of coriander over the duck on each wrap.
1. The calorie count includes 1 small duck leg (around 125g of meat). This will vary significantly depending on the size of the leg you use.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 90 minutes
- Category: Lunch
- Method: Roast
- Cuisine: Chinese
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 580
- Fat: 28g
- Carbohydrates: 41g
- Protein: 41g
Keywords: wrap, sandwich, duck, poultry, hoisin, chinese, lunch, snack
One Thought on “Hoisin Duck Wraps”