This is a delicious honey chilli chicken dish with a small hint of spice. Not only is it delicious but it’s pretty easy to make too. I love to eat this with rice but you could also make it with noodles. It would also be great as part of a Chinese ‘fakeaway’ platter to share with people if you have guests!
There is definitely something about sweet flavoured Chinese food that makes it addictive I’m sure there must have been studies into this – I’ll have to look it up! Anyway, once you’ve made this – I guarantee you’ll want to make it again.
How to make this
This Asian stir fry is an impressive dish with a flavour palette that makes it seem like there is quite a lot going on ‘in there’. In reality it is actually super easy to make. Simply mix the marinade and cut the chicken into strips and then leave in the sauce while you prep everything else.
Cook the chicken in a hot pan for a few minutes and then set aside. Then cook the garlic and chilli for a couple of minutes before adding the honey and mixing everything together well.
Add the chicken back to the pan with the pepper and spring onion and slowly cook for around 5 minutes. Serve and enjoy!
How many calories are in honey chilli chicken?
Honey chilli chicken contains 380 calories per portion which makes it a perfect alternative to a weekend takeaway if you are conscious of what you eat. It’s not a particularly sinful meal – but the oil and honey add in some calories, fat and sugar.
If you are looking to control calories or fat intake then serve this with steamed veg and/or cauliflower rice rather than standard rice.
What to serve with honey chilli chicken?
Honey chilli chicken is perfect with a side of steamed rice. It also goes great with a simple salad or some cooked greens such as pak choy or broccoli.
Cauliflower rice is also a great alternative if you want to get the ‘rice’ effect but without the carbs.
Products that work great for this recipe
Handmade Noodle Bowl with Chopsticks
Adult Training Chopsticks
T-fal Nonstick Pan
This honey chilli chicken is absolutely delicious yet simple and quick. You can have this fakeaway dish ready in 30 minutes and you will honestly feel like you are eating a restaurant-worthy meal.
For the Marinade:
- 1 tsp cornflour
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- 1 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 1/2 lemon – juice only
- 1 chicken breast (around 125 g) cut into strips around 5cm wide
For the Pan:
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 red chilli, deseeded & finely diced
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 spring onion, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1/2 red pepper, cut into thin strips (around 120 g)
- pinch roasted sesame seeds
1. In a bowl, mix the marinade ingredients together. Add the chicken strips and coat and leave to marinade for 15-20 minutes.
2. In a frying pan heat half the olive oil over a medium high heat. Add the chicken so each piece is spread out and touching the pan – do this in batches if needed. Cook for around 4 minutes turning halfway through.
3. Remove the chicken and set on a plate. Add the rest of the oil to the pan and reduce the heat a little. Add the garlic and chilli and cook for around 2 minutes and then reduce the heat again – down to medium.
4. Add the honey and simmer gently for around 2-3 minutes. Using a wooden spoon scrape the pan occasionally to loosen any blackened bits stuck to the bottom – it adds to the flavour!
5. Add the chicken back to the pan and add the spring onions and red pepper. Increase the heat to medium high and cook for around 5 minutes, stirring regularly.
6. Serve and sprinkle over the sesame seeds.
1. You can also use baby leeks if you can’t get spring onions (or prefer leek). Slice them into 1 inch pieces and then cut in half.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Hob
- Cuisine: Chinese
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 380
- Fat: 13g
- Carbohydrates: 35g
- Protein: 35g
Keywords: chicken, asian, chinese, dinner, poultry, chilli, honey, fakeaway