This honey chilli chicken is absolutely delicious yet simple and quick. You can have this fakeaway dish ready in 30 minutes and you will honestly feel like you are eating a restaurant-worthy meal.
For the Marinade:
- 1 tsp cornflour
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- 1 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 1/2 lemon – juice only
- 1 chicken breast (around 125 g) cut into strips around 5cm wide
For the Pan:
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 red chilli, deseeded & finely diced
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 spring onion, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1/2 red pepper, cut into thin strips (around 120 g)
- pinch roasted sesame seeds
1. In a bowl, mix the marinade ingredients together. Add the chicken strips and coat and leave to marinade for 15-20 minutes.
2. In a frying pan heat half the olive oil over a medium high heat. Add the chicken so each piece is spread out and touching the pan – do this in batches if needed. Cook for around 4 minutes turning halfway through.
3. Remove the chicken and set on a plate. Add the rest of the oil to the pan and reduce the heat a little. Add the garlic and chilli and cook for around 2 minutes and then reduce the heat again – down to medium.
4. Add the honey and simmer gently for around 2-3 minutes. Using a wooden spoon scrape the pan occasionally to loosen any blackened bits stuck to the bottom – it adds to the flavour!
5. Add the chicken back to the pan and add the spring onions and red pepper. Increase the heat to medium high and cook for around 5 minutes, stirring regularly.
6. Serve and sprinkle over the sesame seeds.
1. You can also use baby leeks if you can’t get spring onions (or prefer leek). Slice them into 1 inch pieces and then cut in half.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Hob
- Cuisine: Chinese
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 380
- Fat: 13g
- Carbohydrates: 35g
- Protein: 35g
Keywords: chicken, asian, chinese, dinner, poultry, chilli, honey, fakeaway