These individual dauphinoise potatoes are a real treat and perfect for cooking in solo portions. Creamy, garlicky and cheesy – they are comfort food at its best!
The below recipe makes one individual stack – although you might find two stacks per person a more substantial portion size.
- 1 tsp olive oil, or cooking spray
- 100g / 3.5oz potatoes / (1/2 medium-sized potato)
- 1 tsp butter (6 g)
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tbsp sour cream
- 1 sprig thyme (or 1/4 tsp dried thyme)
- 15 g mature cheddar, grated (1/4 cup)
- pinch nutmeg
1. Preheat the oven to 200C/400F. Slice the potatoes very thinly. If you have a mandolin then use it. I used mine set to 3mm thickness.
2. Melt the butter in the microwave and then stir in the sour cream, garlic and thyme. Make sure not to overdo it or the butter will separate. Do it in blasts of 10-15 seconds, stirring in between.
3. Grease some small ramekins – or you can use a 12 hole muffin tin. (I actually use pudding tins which are 200ml capacity)
4. Stack the potatoes until around one third of the way up and then add a third of the sour cream mix. If it’s not runny then microwave for a few extra seconds and stir again. Add one third of the cheese.
5. Stack potatoes until another third full and repeat with the sauce and cheese. Repeat again until the tin is fully stacked but this time only add the sauce and not the cheese.
6. Place in the oven for 30 minutes then remove and gently tip the potatoes onto a baking tray. You might find it easier to place the baking tray over the top and then (using a tea towel), tip it over. Scatter over the remaining cheese and the nutmeg and place back in the oven for 5 minutes.
- If the potatoes are bigger than your ramekin then cut the slices in half so they can be easily stacked
- You can use creme fraiche instead of sour cream – or even heavy cooking cream
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: French
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 250
- Fat: 17g
- Carbohydrates: 18g
- Protein: 6g
Keywords: side, potatoes, french, cheese, vegetarian, comfort food