While back in the UK this Christmas we went over to visit my Aunt in the Lake District. It was Christmas Eve and she prepared us a fabulous meal of whole salmon smothered with lush green salsa verde. Being Christmas Eve it was a great idea to have some fish before several days of back to back turkey commenced. I decided there and then that I had to create a version that was easy to cook in individual portions. So here it is, Italian Salsa Verde Salmon.
What to serve with Salsa Verde Salmon
The possibilities for what you can pair with Salsa Verde Salmon are almost endless! It’s a simple and versatile dish and will go well with so many things – veg, salad, potatoes….
I served this with balsamic roasted Mediterranean vegetables which was the perfect accompaniment and in keeping with the Italian theme! It was a great accompaniment and pairing with veg really does make the whole meal very nutritious and healthy as well as delicious.
Italian Salsa Verde Salmon for one
This is the perfect dish to make if you are cooking for yourself. Or if you are looking for a low-hassle prep ahead meal option. Not only can you prep the salsa verde in advance and freeze (so it’s waiting for you whenever you are ready) but you can also make the foil parcels the day before and pop in the oven when you get home from a busy day. If you want to freeze the sauce then make sure you coat with a good layer of olive oil. Freezing in ice cube trays is a great idea for single serve portions!
For this recipe, I made the salsa verde with only the absolute essential ingredients – to make it a little more accessible as an easy mid-week meal. When I’m making salsa verde to use as a dipping sauce I add a couple of extra elements including gherkins (or pickles) and red wine vinegar. These extra ingredients are how it is prepared and served in traditionally in Italy. You can see my recipe for Italian Salsa Verde here. Give it a go and get some warm bread in the oven to dip in. It’s beautiful!
Products that work well for this recipe
Steel Herb Chopper
Glass Herb Keeper
This Individual Italian Salsa Verde Salmon is a delicious, easy & versatile dish. It pairs with so many side dish options and can be made in advance for a quick midweek meal.
- 1 skinless salmon fillet, around 150g
- 1 large handful parsley
- 2 anchovies
- 2 tsp capers
- 1 large garlic clove, crushed
- 2 tsp olive oil
- juice 1/2 lemon
1. Preheat the oven to 200C / 400F
2. Finely chop the parsley, anchovies and capers and add the crushed garlic. Mix in a bowl with the olive oil & lemon juice.
3. Cut a piece of foil into around 15-inch lengths. Fold in half, so the shiny side is on the outside. Place the salmon into the middle. Spread the salsa verde on top of the salmon.
4. Wrap the foil package and fold the edges to seal. You don’t want to wrap it too tightly, make sure there is room for the air inside to circulate
5. Place onto a baking sheet and place in the middle of the oven for 20 minutes
- You can choose to blend all the ingredients rather than hand chopping – but I personally like the more ‘rough’ look.
- If you aren’t a fan of anchovies – don’t worry – they add more of a salty undertone rather than a super fish taste.
- You could easily use any fish with this salsa – it’s super versatile and goes with so many things!
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Foil Packet
- Cuisine: Italian
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 390
- Fat: 24g
- Carbohydrates: 3g
- Protein: 40g
Keywords: italian, salsa verde, salmon, foil packet, healthy, easy, quick, midweek