This recipe was one of those that kind of came together based on things I had in. A lazy Saturday morning, a breakfast time that kind of turned into brunch time (owing to my lie in). It was actually going on 11am so I wanted something a bit more substantial and exotic than a bowl of cereal. Enter these Kale, Bacon & Egg Breakfast Tostadas.
This is pretty easy to throw together, and I managed to do everything in one big pan – saving on the washing up. Always a bonus.
It definitely hit the spot – crunchy tostadas layered with tender kale, another layer of crunch from some super crispy bacon and then a creamy runny egg.
A warning – this is absolutely not a healthy or low calorie breakfast, despite the kale (I always find it funny when some people seem to assume that everything with kale thrown in is healthy). I mean it’s not terrible – around 700 kcal, which I guess is fine for a brunch. But it’s probably not the best option if you are trying to eat healthily.
This would actually make a pretty sweet hangover cure. Just enough grease from the bacon and egg and then all that lovely iron from the kale. Just add strong coffee (or a full fat coke).
Microwave Egg Maker
T-fal Nonstick Pan
Lazy Wooden Spoon
Kale, Bacon & Egg Breakfast TostadasCourse: Brunch, BreakfastCuisine: MexicanDifficulty: Easy
Crunchy and tender all at the same time – topped with a gorgeous runny egg. These Kale, Bacon & Egg Breakfast Tostadas make the perfect late breakfast or lazy brunch. Plus they only take about 15 minutes to come together!
2 x 6 inch flour tortillas
2 large eggs
1 large handful kale, chopped
1 tbsp olive oil
100g smoked streaky bacon (around 4 rashers)
- Heat the oven to around 180C / 350F. Place the tortillas on a lined baking tray and place in the oven until they are crisp (but not too brown and overdone). Around 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat a small drizzle of the oil in a non stick frying pan or skillet over a medium heat and add the kale. Saute for a few minutes until soft.
- Reduce the heat to low and remove the kale and set aside (you can pop into the bottom of the oven to keep warm). Add the bacon rashers to a large frying pan and cook until crisp – turning around every 2-3 minutes. When the bacon is nearly done push it to one side of the frying pan and add the remaining oil to the other half. You want it to pool together so you may need to tilt the pan.
- Add the eggs to the oil and fry gently (make sure the oil isn’t too hot, unless you prefer fried eggs with crunchy edges).
- Once done plate the dish – add the tostada, the kale, the bacon and then top with the egg. Season with salt and pepper and some chopped parsley (optional).