Lamb Bhuna: Beautifully tender lamb slowly simmered in a sauce of tomato, red pepper, green chilli & spices. Bring this takeaway classic into your kitchen!
The default recipe serves 4.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 500g / 1.1lb diced lamb
- 2 large red onions, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced or crushed
- 1 tbsp ginger paste
- 2 large tomatoes (around 200g / 7oz each), diced
- 2 large red bell peppers/capsicums, deseeded and diced into large pieces
- 2 green chillis
- 60ml / 1/4 cup chicken stock
- few sprigs of fresh coriander, finely chopped
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 small cinnamon stick
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- Add the oil to a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the lamb and brown all over (around 5 minutes). Tip the dried spices in and stir around the pan for a further minute until fragrant. Use a slotted spoon to remove the lamb from the pan and set aside.
- Add the onion to the pan and cook for around 6-8 minutes until softened and lightly golden. Stir in the garlic, ginger and chilli and cook for a further minute. Add the ground spices and cook for a further minute or so until aromatic.
- Add the tomatoes, pepper and stock to the pan and tip the lamb back in. Season well. Cover the pan and cook for 90 minutes until the lamb is super tender.
- Remove the cinnamon stick before serving and garnish with chopped coriander.
- You can swap the chillis for 1-2 tsp of chilli powder.
- 2 chillis will give a medium level of spice. Increase or decrease depending on preferences.
- Opt for lamb shoulder, leg, neck or chuck, which will turn meltingly tender when slow-cooked for this recipe
- If there is too much liquid left at the end of cooking then bring the pan to a rapid boil to reduce until you have the amount of sauce you want (typically bhuna is not a very ‘saucy’ curry).
- You can swap the whole tomatoes for tinned chopped tomatoes, but you may need a little more stock depending on the water content of the brand you use.
- Category: Curry
- Method: Hob / Stove
- Cuisine: Curry
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 340
- Fat: 19g
- Carbohydrates: 16g
- Protein: 28g
Keywords: curry, dinner, lamb, tender, medium spice, Indian, chilli