Turkey season – I love it! But sometimes I feel like it’s easy to get into a rut as to what to cook up with all those beautiful leftovers. Personally I’m a huge fan of leftover turkey – it makes the whole festive meal go on for days and days. However, I’m sure most people are getting pretty sick of the sight of turkey after a couple of meals. Having some variety can definitely go a long way to making you forget like you are eating the same bird day after day! Try this Leftover Turkey Queso Fundido and put a Mexican kick into your post-Christmas meals!
In our household it’s leftover turkey curry (which I do adore). Then many, many turkey sandwiches. I think it’s time we swapped one of those sandwiches for something more exotic. And what better than leftovers with a spicy kick and coated in cheese. (Like we haven’t already indulged enough – but it is Christmas!)
This is also a great sharing recipe – perfect if you still have guests or visitors round. You can dip some crunchy nachos, or some crudites if you want something a little bit healthier (although, after all that cheese, what does it really matter).
On that point, this is definitely not a healthy dish. It’s comfort food at it’s best. But every now and again it’s ok, I guess. The diet starts in January right? The recipe below is for one portion which would be a bit more than a snack. (I actually ate this in my PJ bottoms in front of the TV as my dinner – just don’t tell anyone). You can alternatively multiply the recipe and bowl size and serve it up for a few people.
I used a ceramic cazuela bowl to serve this in which worked perfectly – but any oven proof bowl will do.
Joseph Joseph Fold Flat Grater
Rustic Cazuela Clay Pans
Leftover Turkey Queso FundidoCourse: SnacksCuisine: MexicanDifficulty: Easy
Leftover Turkey Queso Fundido – Shredded turkey cooked up with crunchy peppers and onion and a little spice – coated with gooey, melted stringy cheese
75g mozzarella cheese, grated (buy a block and grate it yourself – the pre-shredded stuff won’t melt properly)
75g mild cheddar cheese, grated
50g shredded turkey breast
10g sliced jalapeno peppers (you can use from a jar)
100g red bell pepper, diced
50g onion, diced thinly
pinch of paprika, to serve
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C. Heat a drizzle of olive oil or low fat cooking spray in a frying pan over a medium high heat. Add the onion and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the red pepper and cook for around 5 minutes, until softened.
- Add the turkey and jalapenos and stir everything together well. Cook for a couple of minutes to heat through.
- In an ovenproof bowl add a layer of the turkey mixture then around 1/3 cheese. Then add the rest of the turkey mixture and the rest of the cheese. Place in the oven for around 10 minutes until the cheese has melted – don’t overdo it or the cheese will start to harden.
- Serve with a pinch of paprika sprinkled over the top with nachos or crudites.