Turkey Curry – every time I make this I can’t help but think of Bridget Jones and how she resents attending her mother’s ‘Turkey Curry Buffet’ each year. Knowing that she would be set up with “some bushy haired middle aged bore”. Luckily in my family home, our annual leftover turkey & sprout curry is a far more pleasurable experience. A great dish for serving right after Christmas (or Thanksgiving, for my American friends).
This curry is super easy to put together – it will honestly take you less than half an hour from start to finish. Better yet it’s making great use of all those leftovers. This leftover turkey & sprout curry is pretty mild (although that will come down to the strength of the curry powder you use). It’s also pretty healthy – including turkey, sprouts, chopped tomatoes and low fat yogurt instead of cream. Only 250 calories per portion. Perfect if you have indulged in a lot of rich food over the holidays (which, let’s face it, is a must!).
If you don’t have any leftover sprouts you can easily substitute for another cooked vegetable – green beans would work great. I always serve with a good spoonful of mango chutney alongside. Some simple cucumber and mint raita is also great.
When I came to make this recipe I decided that I was going to do a bit of a test on the sprouts when I cooked them. I feel there is quite the debate about whether it makes any difference to do the whole criss cross thing when you prepare them. This is something I’ve always been taught to do so not doing so almost seems wrong. Anyway, I decided the best way to see if it’s worth the extra prep time or not is to test it. A big bag of sprouts, 3 different cooking methods and a 50/50 split test. Want to know the results? Check out my big sprout experiment here!
Do you have any favourite leftover turkey recipes? I’d love to hear them!
Products that work well for this recipe
Beeswax Food Wraps
Indian Karahi Curry Bowls
Veggi storage containers
Leftover Turkey & Sprout CurryCourse: DinnerCuisine: IndianDifficulty: Easy
A ridiculously easy, mild and tasty curry that makes great use of festive leftovers – perfect when you don’t want to spend too much time in the kitchen!
25g onion, diced (around 1/4 of a small onion)
1 small clove garlic, crushed
100g tinned chopped tomatoes
1-2 tsp yellow curry powder
100g shredded leftover turkey
75g cooked brussels sprouts
100g low fat plain yogurt
small handful chopped coriander
- Heat a large frying pan over a medium high heat. Add a dash of olive oil or a few sprays of low calorie cooking spray.
- When hot, add the onion and garlic and fry for 3-4 minutes, until the onion is softened.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and around 25ml of cold water. Add the curry powder and mix together. If you don’t like your curry too spicy add just one teaspoon and then taste before adding more.
- Bring to a slow simmer and add the turkey and sprouts. Cook over a medium low heat for around 10 minutes.
- Add the low fat yogurt to the pan and stir everything together well. Serve with chopped coriander over the top. Perfect with some steamed basmati rice or naan – and a good spoonful of mango chutney.