This is such a great easy one pan dish that takes less than 5 minutes to prep – yet is healthy, delicious and nutritious. This Mediterranean Baked Cod is a prepared as a single tray bake so it really has very little washing up. It also has a great balance of carbs, healthy iron-rich fish and veggies that it’s a perfect midweek meal.
Cod tray bake For one
Tray bakes are perfect for solo cooking – I hate having a huge amount of washing up at the end of the day.
Prep time is pretty low for this too so despite it taking a little time to bake it is a pretty easy meal and the hands on time is minimal.
If you’re feeling really lazy you can eat it straight off the baking tray (er, I didn’t do that… honestly!)
How long do you need to bake cod?
Cod takes around 10-15 minutes to bake for a standard size piece (with the oven heated to 200C / 400F). Check it after 10 minutes and then every few minutes thereafter to make sure it doesn’t overcook.
This recipe does have a longer total cooking time as everything is cooked in the oven on the same tray. In total it’s around 55 minutes and the cod is added in the last 15 minutes.
How can you tell when baked cod is done?
To tell if the cod is ready simply use a fork and push it into the thickest part of the fillet. The fish should flake away easily. The flesh should also have turned white rather than the slightly translucent look it has when it’s raw. If it looks cooked on the outside but the middle doesn’t flake or looks pale and translucent then give it another few minutes.
How do you reheat baked cod?
Firstly, if you can avoid it then don’t. As fish can overcook very easily taking a perfectly baked cod fillet and then reheating it later will definitely make it drier and the texture will suffer. If you do really want to reheat the cod then place it on a baking tray with some water splashed over to retain the moisture and then cover with foil. Place in the oven for 5-10 minutes until heated through.
If you want to make this meal over 2 days but reduce the cook time for the second day then cook 2 portions of the ingredients but only one piece of cod. Then on the second day place the second portion in the oven when you are ready to eat it with a fresh raw piece of cod for 15 minutes.
What should you serve with Mediterranean baked cod?
This recipe really is the ultimate tray bake. You don’t need to worry about preparing anything additional to go with this. It has potatoes, protein & veg – packed with loads of fresh Mediterranean flavours.
If you do really want extra then a crisp salad would be good, or some bread to mop up some of the oils and juices.
If you are a fan of baked fish recipes then check out this Italian Salsa Verde Salmon or these Fennel Salmon Foil Packets.
Products that work well for this recipe
Food Hugger Set
Wusthof Nine Piece Knife Block Set
Veggie Saving Reusable Bags
Mediterranean Baked Cod
- Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- Yield: 1 1x
A fresh, tasty and simple Mediterranean baked cod dish. Roasted in the oven with a medley of tasty vegetables and potatoes.
- 1 medium cod fillet (around 125g)
- 1 tbsp capers (around 15 g)
- 1/2 lemon – juice + a couple of slices
- 2 medium vine tomatoes, halved across the middle
- 1 medium potato (around 150 g)
- 35g artichoke hearts
- 8 Black olives (around 25 g)
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 3–4 basil leaves
1. Preheat the oven to 200C/400F. Mix lemon, garlic, oil & oregano together.
2. Cut potatoes into bite sized pieces and place on a baking tray. Season well & drizzle over half the olive oil mixture and place the lemon pieces around them. Place in the oven to roast for 30 minutes.
3. After 30 minutes add the tomatoes, capers, artichoke and olives and rest of oil – roast for further 10 mins.
4. Add the cod and season and roast for a final 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and tear the basil leaves over the top. Serve & enjoy!
- You could use baby new potatoes instead – simply cut them into halves
- You could also use 6-8 cherry tomatoes in place of the vine tomatoes if you prefer
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 55 minutes
- Category: Fish
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 415
- Fat: 10g
- Carbohydrates: 35g
- Protein: 32g
Keywords: cod, fish, tray bake, oven, roasted, baked, dinner, seafood, potatoes, artichoke, tomatoes, olives, lemon
One Thought on “Mediterranean Baked Cod”