Refreshing, cooling, sweet & healthy. This no sugar watermelon granita is the perfect simple recipe to cool off on hot summer days. Made with only fresh ingredients it’s also really good for you!
This recipe makes around 4 portions
- 1/2 watermelon (around 3 kg) – ideally seedless
- 1–2 limes, juice only
1. If your watermelon has seeds remove them (try and get all the black ones out – those small white ones are ok to leave in).
2. Cut the watermelon into chunks and add to a blender. Add the lime juice and blend well.
3. Pour the watermelon into a shallow freezer proof dish – a baking dish is fine. Place in the freezer for 2 hours.
4. Remove the granita and use a fork to scrape the surface until all the solid part in the tray resembles crushed ice. Return to the freezer.
5. Each hour or so repeat the above step until there is no liquid left and the entire mixture is scraped.
6. Serve in dessert bowls or martini glasses. You can transfer any of the mixture that you won’t use straight away into freezer bags to save storage space. It will last up to 1 month in the freezer.
- The prep time indicated is based on you having a seedless melon. If you need to remove the seeds then this will require extra time (it took me around 20 minutes to do half a melon)
- As watermelon is already quite sweet add or reduce the amount of lime juice depending on how sweet you prefer it.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Frozen Dessert
- Method: Blend / Freeze
- Cuisine: Italian
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 115
- Fat: 1g
- Carbohydrates: 30g
- Protein: 2g
Keywords: frozen, dessert, fruit, snack, italian