When I worked in the restaurant we did a couple of variations of mashed potato. This Parmesan & Rocket Mash was by far the most popular and always got great feedback. Not only does this mash look great, but it’s mellow enough in flavour that it could complement all kinds of dishes. It goes really well with grilled meats, such as a juicy steak or these honey & orange lamb cutlets.
This recipe doesn’t require much additional work than regular mash potatoes. Just grate some Parmesan and stir it into the potatoes with the rocket and a small amount of crème fraîche and milk.
I usually use a potato ricer when I make mashed potatoes. I like my mash smooth. If you prefer your mash with a coarser texture so you can always use a masher instead.
If you want to eat this over a few days then cook a couple of portions at once and refrigerate. Simply reheat in a microwave or on the hob when you are ready to eat.
Parmesan & Rocket MashCourse: SidesCuisine: Side DishDifficulty: Easy
A creamy and fluffy mashed potato side dish with freshly grated parmesan cheese and peppery rocket. Serve this parmesan & rocket mash with a variety of dishes such as grilled meats or stews. Yum!
large handful of fresh rocket
15g parmesan cheese, grated
25g crème fraîche
1 tbsp semi skimmed milk
- Bring a pan of salted water to the boil. In the meantime peel and chop the potatoes into around 3inch pieces.
- Add the potatoes to the boiling water and cook for around 15 minutes, until the potatoes are easily pierced with a fork.
- Using a potato ricer (or a masher), mash the potatoes so there are no lumps left and you have a smooth texture.
- While still warm, stir in the crème fraîche and parmesan and mix well. Then add the milk, a little at a time, and combine. Finally add the rocket and stir until evenly distributed.
- Serve while still hot. You can briefly return the pan to the hob, stirring well, if the mash has cooled too much.
- Optional: serve with a knob of butter on top for added flavour and silkiness.