This red lentil bolognese delivers everything you would expect from this Italian classic – rich herby tomato sauce spooned over steaming pasta and topped with some tangy parmesan cheese.
The default recipe serves one.
- 1/4 onion, diced (around 40 g)
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 carrot, diced (around 50 g)
- 1/2 stick celery, diced (around 25 g)
- 25ml red wine
- 200g (7 oz) tinned chopped tomatoes
- 1/3 cup (75 g) dried red lentils
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 1 tsp oregano
- 3 basil leaves, chopped
- freshly shaved parmesan, to serve
1. In a medium saucepan, add heat the olive oil over a medium heat.
2. Add the carrot, celery and onion and cook for around 5 minutes, until softened. Add the garlic and thyme and season well. Cook for a further minute.
3. Add the red wine, chopped tomatoes and lentils and around 2-3 tbsp water per portion. Lower the heat slightly so it reaches a slight simmer. Cover and cook for 45 minutes. Add a little more water if it’s looking dry.
4. Stir in the basil and serve over steaming spaghetti – yum!
- Nutrition information does not include parmesan
- If you don’t have any red wine then use vegetable stock instead
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 60 minutes
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Hob
- Cuisine: Italian
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 380
- Fat: 7g
- Carbohydrates: 55g
- Protein: 44g
Keywords: pasta, dinner, italian, bolognese, vegetarian, vegan, lentils, tomato