A sweet and rich red onion marmalade with a hint of mustard which is easy to make and will keep for months. It makes a beautiful accompaniment to cheese dishes and platters
The default recipe serves 8 (around 2 tablespoons per portion)
- 500g / 1.1lb red onions, ends cut off and thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 100g / 1/3 cup white granulated sugar (caster sugar works well)
- 85ml / 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 60ml / 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp / 20g dijon mustard
- Heat the oil over medium heat and then add the onions. Cook for around 20 minutes, stirring often, until they are softened. If they start to brown at the edges then turn the heat down.
- Add half the sugar and stir everything together well. Cook for a further 10 minutes.
- Add the remainder of the sugar, balsamic, red wine, garlic and mustard and stir everything together well. It will look like there is a lot of liquid but it will reduce right down.
- Cook for a further 45 minutes until the liquid has reduced to a sticky consistency that is coating the onions. If you run a wooden spoon through the bottom of the pan the juices should scrape away and there should be no liquid that pools in the gap you’ve made. Keep going if there is still too much liquid – and perhaps increase the heat a little to let it evaporate more.
- Cool the liquid and then spoon into sterilised jars. Seal and keep in the fridge for up to 3 months.
To steralise the jar, wash in hot soapy water and then transfer into a warm oven (150C/300F). Leave in the oven for 20 minutes until fully dry and then cool before using.
The flavours of the marmalade will develop more over time so this is actually best made at least a few days or a week before you are planning on using it.
Make sure to use a good quality red wine vinegar. If it’s too ‘tart’ it can affect the flavour of the marmalade.
- Category: Chutney
- Method: Hob
- Cuisine: Indian
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 115
- Fat: 2g
- Carbohydrates: 22g
- Protein: 1g
Keywords: pear, chutney, condiment, sauce, relish, indian, side, cheese board