I was hoping to create a recipe that was a good lunchtime or light dinner option and was under 500 calories (although this is just over). Also, a recipe that I could prep for a couple of days and pull together easily when I was ready to eat it. There is something satisfying about putting in a mild amount of effort, to finish the meal, even if it’s been 90% prepped in advance. So here it is, Salmon Tacos with Cucumber and Tomato Salsa.
The components of this recipe will keep in the fridge for around 3 days. Providing everything was pretty fresh when you made it. Then you just need to pull out the ingredients and put all the great tastes together on your tortilla.
Since you need less than half an avocado per serving, squeeze a little lemon juice on anything you store in the fridge in between servings to keep it fresh and stop it going brown. It will also keep for longer if you keep the stone in while storing.
I made the salmon with a generous coating of Chinese 5 spice when I baked it. You could easily use something else like dill. Or even just good old salt and pepper with a squeeze of lime.
I used a mandolin set to 3mm to cut the cucumber into such neat and small batons. Most have a standard attachment with groves going at a 90° angle to the blade which will do all the hard work for you. I removed the tomato seeds before dicing which will stop the salsa from going slushy. The red onion needs to be diced very finely as well.
So, here it is, Salmon tacos with cucumber and tomato salsa – enjoy!
Salmon Tacos with Cucumber and Tomato SalsaCourse: Dinner / LunchCuisine: MexicanDifficulty: Easy
Salmon Tacos with Cucumber and Tomato Salsa. Served with fresh avocado and a minty yogurt dip – healthy, delicious and impressive!
100g salmon fillets
1 tsp Chinese 5 spice
Fry Light spray
1/3 large cucumber (around 50g), cut into small batons (use a mandolin set to 3mm if you have one)
1 large tomato cut into quarters, seeds removed and diced into small pieces
40g red onion – finely diced
1/2 tsp red wine vinegar
1/2 tsp olive oil
50g low fat natural yogurt
small handful of mint, finely chopped
50g avocado, diced (1/2 small avocado)
juice 1/2 lime
2 soft tortillas/taco rolls
- Preheat your oven to 180°C
- Place the salmon on a baking tray with a few sprays of fry light underneath. Coat the top with the 5 spice powder and rub into the flesh. Place into the middle of the oven for 15 minutes
- Next prepare the salsa – mix together the cucumber, tomato and red onion. Mix in the red wine vinegar and olive oil to bind with a couple of shakes of salt and pepper. Mix well
- Next prepare the mint dressing to drizzle over the top. Mix together the mint and low fat yogurt with the lime juice and mix well
- Dice the avocado
- Once the salmon is done, use 2 spoons to flake. Place the salmon over the bottom of the tacos then top with the salsa and the avocado. Drizzle over the yogurt and enjoy!