These healthy salmon tacos are served with a light cucumber and tomato salsa and a minty yogurt dip. They are delicious, healthy and great for lunch or dinner.
The default recipe serves 1
- 1 salmon fillet – around 100g / 3.5oz
- 1/2 tsp chinese 5 spice
- 2 tortillas – small or regular sized – either corn or flour-based
- 1/2 avocado – diced
For the salsa:
- 1/3 cucumber (around 40g / 1.4oz), deseeded and diced
- 1/2 large tomato (around 100g / 3.5oz), cut into quarters, seeds removed and then diced into small pieces
- 1/4 red onion (around 20g / 0.7oz) – diced
- few sprigs of coriander, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp red wine vinegar
For the yogurt dressing:
- 2 tbsp / 40g low-fat natural yogurt
- around 10 fresh mint leaves
- 1 tsp lime juice
- Preheat the oven to 200C / 400F. Pat the salmon fillet dry with some kitchen towel and then place on a baking tray lined with baking paper. If you are using skin-on salmon then place it skin down. Scatter the 5 spice powder over the flesh and season well and rub it in. Place in the oven for 15 minutes
- Next, make the salsa. Mix together the cucumber, tomato and onion in a large bowl. Place the coriander over the top and then pour over the olive oil and vinegar. Combine everything together to bind. Transfer to a serving plate
- Now make the yogurt dressing. Combine the yogurt, mint and lime juice in a bowl and set aside.
- Once the salmon is cooked remove it from the oven and leave to rest for around 5 minutes. Flake into large pieces with 2 forks and place it onto a plate.
- Warm the tortillas in the microwave for around 15 seconds. Place everything on the table – the salsa, yogurt dressing, salmon, tortillas and diced avocado and let people serve themselves.
If you don’t have Chinese 5 spice you can get creative with other spices – cumin, dried thyme and paprika are all good options.
You can use fat-free Greek yogurt instead of natural yogurt if you prefer.
For a quick and lazy shortcut, use mint sauce mixed with the yogurt rather than fresh mint.
If you have leftover avocado then drizzle it with some lemon juice and wrap tightly with clingfilm which will help to stop it turning brown. Leave the stone in the half you keep which also helps.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 450
- Fat: 19g
- Carbohydrates: 38g
- Protein: 28g
Keywords: tacos, salmon tacos, salmon, mexican, lunch, dinner, cucumber salsa, healthy