Tender chicken coated in a spiced aromatic flour. This salt and pepper chicken is a perfect starter to share or addition to a Chinese platter!
The default recipe serves one.
- 120g / 4.2oz skinless chicken breast, sliced
- 1/2 tsp chinese 5 spice
- 1 tbsp cornflour/cornstarch
- 1 large pinch salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 60ml / 1/4 cup oil + 1 tsp
- 1/2 red pepper/capsicum, diced
- 1/4 onion, diced
- 1 large spring onion/scallion, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped/minced
- 1 chilli, finely chopped
- to garnish (optional): extra whole chillis and chopped coriander
- First mix together the salt, pepper, five spice and cornflour.
- Toss the chicken through the flour mixture, making sure that each piece is coated.
- Heat the oil over high heat in a frying pan until hot. You’ll need enough oil to roughly cover the chicken. You can check the oil is hot enough by adding a small pinch of the flour to the oil and if it simmers in the oil it is ready.
- Carefully add the chicken a piece at a time to the oil and cook for around 6 minutes until golden, turning halfway through the cooking time. Make sure not to overcrowd the pan and work in batches if needed, so you can make sure each piece cooks without touching other pieces.
- When cooked remove the chicken with a slotted spoon and place on a plate covered with kitchen towel to absorb any excess oil.
- When all the chicken is cooked set aside the pan with the hot oil to cool. In a clean frying pan add another tsp of oil and place over medium-high heat. Add the onion and pepper and cook for 3-4 minutes until the onion has started to colour a little. Add the garlic, chilli and spring onion and cook for a further minute.
- Add the chicken to the pan and toss everything together before serving.
- Note that the size of the chilli relates to how hot it is. The smaller it is the more heat it will pack. Therefore if you use a smaller chilli it will turn out hotter so you may want to use a smaller amount.
- If you don’t have any 5 spice then you can substitute star anise (the main ingredient in 5 spice) or garam masala – or a mixture of both.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Fry
- Cuisine: Chinese
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 475
- Fat: 32g
- Carbohydrates: 16g
- Protein: 32g
Keywords: chicken, chinese, asian, dinner, starter, spicy