A warming, mild and delicious slow cooker chicken curry. Perfect for midweek meals. Prepare everything in the morning and be greeted with a fragrant and easy meal at the end of a hard day!
The default recipe serves one.
- 2 tsp olive or vegetable oil
- 1/2 onion, roughly diced
- 1 small chicken breast, diced (around 120g / 4.2oz)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 100g / 3.5oz tinned chopped tomatoes
- 60ml / 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 50g / 1.75oz tinned chickpeas
- few sprigs fresh coriander, chopped
- Add the oil to a frying pan/skillet and place over medium-high heat. When hot, add the onion and saute for around 4-5 minutes until softened.
- Add the chicken and cook for a further 3-4 minutes until sealed on all sides.
- Add the garlic and ginger and stir everything together. Cook for a further minute before adding the cumin, curry powder and garam masala. Stir the spices around the pan for around 20-30 seconds to allow them to release their flavour and fragrance (bloom).
- Tip the chicken and onion mixture into the slow cooker. Pour over the coconut milk, tomatoes and chickpeas. Season and stir everything together.
- Cook on low for 3-4 hours or high for 6-8. Serve with the chopped coriander sprinkled over the top and some steamed rice or naan bread.
- You can skip the pre-frying step if you are short on time. However, sauteing the onion, chicken, garlic, ginger and spices first helps add a lot of flavour to the curry.
- If you find that the curry is too thin then you can use 1 tsp of cornflour/cornstarch per person mixed with 2 tsp of water per person. Add a little at a time until you reach the desired consistency. You may find that you need to transfer the sauce to a saucepan first to properly thicken it as the cornflour requires a fairly high temperature to activate.
- The strength of curry powder you use will affect if the curry is mild or a little spicy. You may want to adjust the amount based on your preferences.
- Category: Curry
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: Indian
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 500
- Fat: 24g
- Carbohydrates: 20g
- Protein: 44g
Keywords: curry, indian, slow cooker, chicken, dinner, asian, easy