Stuffed peppers are one of my go to lunch options to take to work. They are so much more interesting than a salad or a sandwich and, if you have a microwave in your workplace, easy to reheat. If you are looking for a warm lunch in the winter then these totally fit the bill. Whilst also bringing you a taste of the warmer Mediterranean to give you a little nostalgia for summer! Of course they are also great in summer months, when you want a light meal. I tend to make a couple of portions of these slow cooker Mediterranean stuffed peppers and then take them to work over a couple of days. They will last up to 3 days in the fridge.
These peppers cook into a beautifully fresh mixture which really does taste of the med. Olives, artichoke, oregano. Delicious! Each portion in this recipe will make 2 medium sized stuffed peppers.
Since these peppers can be done in the slow cooker they are great to prep in the evening and leave on overnight and then scoop into a Tupperware or fridge container the next morning. Just use a timer for when the slow cooker comes on as I don’t think they would hold up to a full 8 hours cooking, even on low. This recipe will take you around 15 minutes to prep – it is really simple.
I do recommend cooking the rice first but you can actually use uncooked rice as the juices from the slow cooking will do the work for you. The only difference is that the cooked rice makes the mixture less ‘congealed’ when cooked. It really doesn’t affect the taste either way. Honestly though, if you are just making it for yourself, there is a clear payoff between ease and a recipe looking perfect. Speed is the aim of the game!
One of the great things about stuffed peppers is that they are so versatile. I’ve shared my favourite Mediterranean mixture – but I also have a great recipe for Mexican style ones. I’ll definitely share it soon!
Crock Pot Slow Cooker
Microwave Quinoa & Rice Cooker
Slow Cooker Mediterranean Stuffed PeppersCourse: LunchCuisine: MediterraneanDifficulty: Easy
These Slow Cooker Stuffed Peppers are truly a taste of the Mediterranean! With artichoke hearts, olives, creamy feta and a hint of red chilli. Beautiful!
25g artichoke hearts, sliced
25g black or green spanish olives, sliced
20g onion, diced
1 tsp oregano
2 medium sized peppers (capsicum) – around 500g total weight before de-seeding.
150g chicken mince
1 clove garlic, crushed
1/4 red chilli – thinly chopped
juice – around 1/4 lemon
30g brown rice (uncooked weight)
25g feta cheese
- Firstly, cook the brown rice. Wash in a bowl and drain – repeat a couple of times to remove any residue. Place in a small saucepan with 60ml water, bring to the boil and reduce the heat to low. Cover and cook for around 20 minutes until all the water has been absorbed. SEE NOTE 1
- Mix the rice and all other ingredients apart from the peppers and feta in a large bowl. Mix together well and season with salt and a generous amount of pepper.
- Cut off the top of the peppers and remove all the seeds so they are hollow. Place the stuffing mixture inside.
- Place standing up in a slow cooker and cook on high for 2-3 hours or low for 4-5 hours. When cooked scatter the feta cheese over the top and serve!
- You do not need to cook the rice if you are short on time. The slow cooker and the juices from the dish will do the work for you. I am suggesting this only because I find it makes the texture of the stuffing better (less congealed) when you cook it first.