*This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclaimer here. While we may use affiliate links, we would never allow this to influence product listings or recommendations.
A sweet, warming and creamy bowl of steaming soup – what could be better to brighten up a dull afternoon or lighten your spirits when you are feeling down? This sweet potato & red pepper soup is easy to make, incredibly rich and pretty healthy to boot. This soup is also a perfect contender for batch cooking. It freezes incredibly well (instructions below) so why stop at one portion?
What to serve with sweet potato soup?
Personally I think this soup is great on its own. It’s packed with veg, and (as the name suggests) sweet potato. So it contains a healthy dose of carbs to keep you going all afternoon.
If you want to make it even more substantial then you can add some crusty bread to help mop it all up. Or you could serve it with a simple salad or sandwich if you want a larger meal.
Is it healthy?
This sweet potato soup is pretty healthy. It’s also well balanced containing vitamin-rich red pepper and sweet potatoes, which are a great source of vitamin C. The portion size is also fairly large – so it’s definitely a substantial meal option.
This is not a good option if you are trying to control carbs as it contains a full medium-sized sweet potato. Although, I’m guessing you probably wouldn’t be reading a potato-based soup recipe if you were.
How do you make it?
This soup is pretty easy to make. You’ll need to set aside around 15-20 minutes of prep time. First, prepare the vegetables (as directed below) and roast in the oven for half an hour. Then blend them with a splash of stock into a puree. Once you’ve got the right consistency you can add the remainder of the stock and blend fully.
Mix the sour cream with a little of the soup in a mug and then add into the rest of the soup. At this stage, you can either heat the soup on the hob in a saucepan or freeze or refrigerate it to eat later.
Can it be made in advance?
The great news is that this soup can absolutely be made in advance. It will keep for up to 3 days in the fridge or up to 3 months in the freezer (directions below). The soup really is as good after being chilled or frozen as it is when you first make it!
Can it be frozen?
This red pepper & sweet potato soup can be frozen for up to 3 months. Make sure it’s fully cooled and pour it into a freezer-proof container or soup bag. If you are using a plastic container (or similar) to freeze it then I recommend pressing a piece of clingfilm across the top if there is a bit of space between the soup and the lid – to stop any ice crystals forming on the surface.
If you are looking for other great soup recipes then check out this sweet potato & horseradish soup or this butternut squash soup with honey creme fraiche.
Products that work great for this recipe
Russell Hobbs 3-in-1 Blender
Soup n Sauce Freezer Bag
Leak Proof Soup Bowl
Sweet Potato & Red Pepper Soup
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 1 1x
This red pepper & sweet potato soup is super warming and comforting. Thick and creamy, it’s the perfect soup for a cold afternoon. Great for advance batch cooking.
The default recipe makes 1 large portion (around 1.5 cups)
- 1 sweet potato (around 250 g) peeled and cut into slices around 1 inch thick
- 1/4 onion top and bottom removed and peeled (around 30 g)
- 1 red pepper, seeds and stem removed and quartered (around 250 g)
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 300ml vegetable stock
- 50g / (or 2 tbsp) light sour cream
- few sprigs of thyme, leaves stripped
1. Preheat the oven to 200C / 400F. Spread the pepper, onion and sweet potato on a baking tray. Drizzle over the olive oil and season well. Place in the oven for 30 minutes.
2. The top of the peppers should have blackened a little. Let them cool and then peel off the skin. If the outside of the onion has also blackened then peel the outer layer away and discard.
3. Mix the vegetables with a little of the stock and the thyme and puree in a blender or with a stick blender. When smooth add the rest of the stock and blend until well combined.
4. Warm the soup in a saucepan on the hob. Once heated, take about half a mugful of the soup and stir the sour cream in rigorously until blended. Add back into the soup and mix well. Season to taste and serve.
5. Optional: Serve with some seeds or fresh herbs scattered over the top and a drizzle of sour cream.
- You can use creme fraiche instead of sour cream if you prefer. As sour cream is less rich and more tangier than creme fraiche, I feel it’s a better complement to the sweetness of the potato and pepper – but it all comes down to personal preference.
- Recreate the look: For the photos, I slightly watered down some creme fraiche with a little water and used a sauce bottle to pour. I topped with freshly milled black pepper and parsley.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Category: Lunch
- Method: Roast / Hob
- Cuisine: Soup
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 400
- Fat: 10g
- Carbohydrates: 71g
- Protein: 12g
Keywords: soup, sweet potato, red pepper, lunch, comfort food
5 Thoughts on “Sweet Potato & Red Pepper Soup”
This is such a soothing and healthy bowl for a rainy day! It was much more filling than I expected. I added a little crushed red pepper for extra heat. I didn’t have sour cream at the time so I’ll remake with the sour cream after a visit to the store.
Thanks Aubrilyn, Yes it is lovely and thick and filling. Love the idea of adding crushed pepper too! I’ll try that next time!