This red pepper & sweet potato soup is super warming and comforting. Thick and creamy, it’s the perfect soup for a cold afternoon. Great for advance batch cooking.
The default recipe makes 1 large portion (around 1.5 cups)
- 1 sweet potato (around 250 g) peeled and cut into slices around 1 inch thick
- 1/4 onion top and bottom removed and peeled (around 30 g)
- 1 red pepper, seeds and stem removed and quartered (around 250 g)
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 300ml vegetable stock
- 50g / (or 2 tbsp) light sour cream
- few sprigs of thyme, leaves stripped
1. Preheat the oven to 200C / 400F. Spread the pepper, onion and sweet potato on a baking tray. Drizzle over the olive oil and season well. Place in the oven for 30 minutes.
2. The top of the peppers should have blackened a little. Let them cool and then peel off the skin. If the outside of the onion has also blackened then peel the outer layer away and discard.
3. Mix the vegetables with a little of the stock and the thyme and puree in a blender or with a stick blender. When smooth add the rest of the stock and blend until well combined.
4. Warm the soup in a saucepan on the hob. Once heated, take about half a mugful of the soup and stir the sour cream in rigorously until blended. Add back into the soup and mix well. Season to taste and serve.
5. Optional: Serve with some seeds or fresh herbs scattered over the top and a drizzle of sour cream.
- You can use creme fraiche instead of sour cream if you prefer. As sour cream is less rich and more tangier than creme fraiche, I feel it’s a better complement to the sweetness of the potato and pepper – but it all comes down to personal preference.
- Recreate the look: For the photos, I slightly watered down some creme fraiche with a little water and used a sauce bottle to pour. I topped with freshly milled black pepper and parsley.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Category: Lunch
- Method: Roast / Hob
- Cuisine: Soup
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 400
- Fat: 10g
- Carbohydrates: 71g
- Protein: 12g
Keywords: soup, sweet potato, red pepper, lunch, comfort food