*This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclaimer here. While we may use affiliate links, we would never allow this to influence product listings or recommendations.
This tomato & herb salsa is fresh, light and tangy. Better still, it’s super easy to make and just requires a little chopping. There are also loads of ways to use this salsa (see suggestions below!)
Can you make it in advance?
You are best making this salsa on the day you are going to eat it. The juices will soften the tomatoes so the texture will start to suffer after that. However, you can prep the tomatoes and the dressing the day before. Just keep them separate until you are ready to serve!
Can you freeze it?
This is not a great recipe for freezing. The tomatoes will lose a lot of the texture and become mushy when defrosting. However, if you do have leftovers then you can freeze it and then blend it into a delicious tomato pasta sauce later!
Is it healthy?
This recipe is super healthy. Tomatoes are packed with vitamin C (did you know that a single tomato can provide up to 40% of the daily recommended allowance of vitamin C?).
Since it’s dressed with olive oil and vinegar rather than creamy mayo or cream as you might find in some salads, it’s low in fat too! Each portion comes in at around 85 calories.
What does it go with?
This salsa is perfect as a side dish for fish or chicken, or it’s great to take to a barbeque or picnic. It’s made with an olive oil, lime and balsamic dressing, which is also just beautiful when mopped up with some crusty bread!
You can also eat this bruschetta style. Toast some thinly sliced baguette and spoon this on top – yum! You can also eat this as a straight up salad. Mix with some fresh rocket leaves and top with some chicken – or even crumbled goats cheese or feta – and enjoy!
You’ll need a few simple ingredients to make this salsa:
- Cherry tomatoes – if you can get your hands on a mixed variety then having different colours and sizes really adds to the appeal of the dish. Cut the tomatoes into halves.
- Red onion – you can dice or thinly slice.
- Chilli – the smaller the hotter with chillis. If you are using a variety such as Birdseye which are very hot then use a small amount. If you are using a milder variety then you might want to increase the amount. It’s always better to start with a small amount and increase to taste.
- Fresh coriander – finely chopped.
- Lime – juice only
- Balsamic vinegar – use a good quality vinegar as this will make a big difference to the taste of the dish
- Olive oil – again opt for a good quality extra virgin oil
You can leave out the chilli if you aren’t a fan of spice.
You can use full size tomatoes instead of cherry tomatoes. I’d suggest cutting them into quarters and removing the seeds before dicing the flesh. Otherwise the seeds are likely to detach from the skins and you might end up with a gloopy mess.
Dried coriander is not really a like for like substitution for fresh. If you don’t have any fresh coriander then I’d suggest using fresh basil, mint or parsley instead.
The balsamic vinegar can be swapped for a good quality red wine vinegar. Add a little at a time and taste as you may want to use a smaller amount
How to make it
Prepare all the ingredients: Cut the cherry tomatoes into halves, dice or finely slice the red onion and deseed and finely chop the chilli. (you can leave the seeds in if you want extra heat). Finely chop the coriander.
Mix the tomatoes, onion, chilli and coriander together in a large bowl.
Make the dressing by combining the vinegar, olive oil and lime juice. Pour over the salsa and mix everything together well. Serve and enjoy!
Products that work great for this recipe
Beeswax Food Wraps
GoEat Salad Box
Veggi storage containers
This tomato and herb salsa is light and tangy and works great as a side dish or salad. It’s also super healthy and packed with vitamin C!
The default recipe serves 1
- 8–10 cherry tomatoes (around 100g), halved or quartered depending on size (use mixed tomatoes for variety)
- 1/4 red onion (around 20 g) finely diced or thinly sliced
- 1/2 small chilli, finely chopped
- few sprigs of coriander, finely chopped
- 1/2 lime, juice only
- 1/2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- Prepare all the ingredients as directed above. Mix the tomato, onion, chilli and coriander in a large bowl.
- Mix together the balsamic, olive oil and lime juice and pour over the tomato mix. Stir everything until coated.
If you are using a larger chilli you may want to increase the amount (the larger the chilli the lower the heat)
You can substitute the balsamic vinegar with good quality red wine vinegar
If you can find a variety of cherry tomatoes with different shades and colours then this adds a lot of extra visual appeal to the dish!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Side
- Method: No Cook
- Cuisine: British
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 85
- Fat: 5g
- Carbohydrates: 4g
- Protein: 0g
Keywords: salsa, tomato, onion, chilli, bbq, salad, side, vegetarian, vegan