I came up with this recipe as I was hoping for a simple, can-eat-two-days-in-a-row lunch. I often duplicate my meals, cooking or prepping for two portions and then eating them over 2 days, back to back. While it might not present the most exciting variety, it definitely helps to make life easier.
I’m a huge fan of the traditional ‘tuna melt’ and wanted something that was a bit different than a typical sandwich. This is by no means a traditional tostada – to be honest, the only thing that it has in common with a standard tostada is the toasted tortilla. But it’s a great combination and really tasty. Meet my tuna & brie melt tostadas!
As this recipe calls for half a tin of tuna, it’s probably best to take the same approach of eating it over two days, or lining up a meal in one of the following days that will use the other half.
I couldn’t find small tortilla wraps (I know they sell 6″ ones but finding specific things in Dubai is sometimes like finding a needle in a haystack). Therefore I cut around an upturned bowl to slightly reduce the size of these, leaving them around 5 inches in diameter which was about perfect.
Not the healthiest meal in the world, given the brie, but it’s a beautiful dish. The crunch from the tortilla with the creaminess of the cheese is a fantastic combination!
Tuna & Brie Melt TostadasCourse: LunchCuisine: Fish, Tuna, SandwichDifficulty: Easy
Tuna Melt Tostadas – creamy brie cheese atop of tuna, olive and cucumber on crispy tortilla, makes a crunchy and gooey sandwich alternative
1 tsp olive oil
1 tsp dijon mustard
35g cucumber, finely diced
15g sliced black olives
1/2 tin tuna in brine or water (tin = 120g drained weight)
50g brie, sliced and then cut into square pieces
handful of rocket
2 x small tortilla wraps
- Mix together the olive oil and mustard until you have a smooth dressing
- Mix together the tuna, cucumber and olives and then combine with the oil and mustard dressing
- Lightly spray the tortilla wraps with oil (I used fry light to save calories) and bake in the oven at 180°C for around 8-12 minutes – you want them to be toasted and a little crisp – they will crispen up more once you’ve removed them from the oven too so don’t be tempted to over-do them.
- Add the tuna topping on top of the tortillas and then place the brie squares evenly over the top. place under a grill for 3-5 minutes until the cheese is melted
- Add the rocket on top of the melts and enjoy!