This vegan mushroom Pâté blends in walnuts, garlic and thyme for a beautiful flavour with a fantastic coarse texture. Perfect for a starter or a light lunch smeared over some crispy bread.
The default recipe makes 4 portions of around 1/4 cup each.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion, sliced (75g or 2.5oz)
- 200g (or 7 oz) brown or chestnut mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp fresh finely chopped thyme
- 50g (or 1/2 cup) roughly chopped walnuts
- 1 tbsp parsley, finely chopped
1. Add the olive oil to a frying pan/skillet over a medium-high heat. Add the onions and cook for around 4 minutes until they have started to soften
2. Add the mushrooms and garlic to the pan with the apple cider vinegar and thyme. Cook for a further 8-10 minutes until the mushrooms have browned and reduced in size.
3. Transfer the mushrooms to a blender along with the walnuts and season well. Use a slotted spoon so you don’t add all the juices from the pan. Pulse for a couple of minutes until you have a coarse Pâté texture. Every so often use a spoon to loosen any mixture that sticks to the side of the blender.
4. Serve with the parsley scattered over the top.
You can also use sherry or brandy instead of the apple cider vinegar
Chestnuts make a great alternative to the walnuts if you are making this when they are in season
Sage is also a great alternative to the thyme
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Starter
- Method: Hob
- Cuisine: French
- Serving Size: 1 (1/4 cup)
- Calories: 140
- Fat: 11g
- Carbohydrates: 6g
- Protein: 4.5g
Keywords: pâté, starter, french, side, lunch, bread, walnuts, mushroom, vegan, vegetarian