This is a beautiful, tangy and warming slow cooker coconut chicken soup. Perfect for taking to work for a quick lunch which takes mere minutes to re-heat in the microwave. It has a little kick to it from a pinch of chilli flakes and turmeric (which also gives it that awesome deep yellow colour!) If you are a fan of coconut milk, and a tiny bit of spice, then I’m sure this could easily become a staple in your recipe itinerary.
You can make this with raw chicken breast, as per the instructions. Alternatively you can make it with leftover cooked chicken, perhaps from a recipe such as this roast chicken for one. Just add the cooked chicken for the last 15 minutes of cooking to warm through. Since it’s a good old slow cooker recipe you can set it and forget it for a few hours.
I love using this smart plug to switch my slow cooker on when I want. Then I can still slow cook a recipe before an 8 hour work day that takes only 5 hours. To do this I would typically prepare everything the night before and leave in the fridge overnight so that when you pop it in the slow cooker in the morning it’s cold. Then if you don’t switch the slow cooker on for a couple of hours it won’t be in the food ‘danger zone‘ for long, if at all. Add that extra couple of hours to the fact that food can happily do an extra hour in a slow cooker on low, over and above what the recipe calls for. Bam! A 5-hour slow cooker recipe is now stretched to a 8 hour work day.
Warming Slow Cooker Coconut Chicken Soup
A beautifully warming slow cooker coconut chicken soup – super easy to make and perfect to take to work with you for a satisfying lunch on those crazy busy days! The creaminess from the coconut milk combined with a small kick from the chilli and turmeric will surely make this a staple in your meal planning.
75g raw chicken breasts
40g carrot, diced into small cubes
40g red pepper, diced into small cubes
10g spring onion, sliced on the diagonal into thin strips
very small pinch of chilli flakes
1 garlic clove
1 tsp lazy ginger paste (or equivalent fresh and grated)
1 tsp turmeric
juice of 1/2 lemon
1 tsp thai fish sauce
1 chicken stock cubes in 200ml boiling water
150ml light coconut milk
small handful coriander, chopped well
- Add the carrot, pepper, spring onion and garlic to the slow cooker. Place the chicken breasts on top.
- Make the stock in a jug and add the lemon juice, fish sauce, turmeric, chilli flakes and ginger and mix well. Pour over the chicken and vegetables.
- Cook on high for 2-3 hours or low for 4-5 hours.
- 15 minutes before serving, remove the chicken and use two forks to shred. Return to the slow cooker, pour over the coconut milk and add the chopped coriander and stir well.
- Serve with some extra spring onion and coriander sprinkled over the top, if preferred.