Transform the humble parsnip into a show-stopping side dish. These honey roasted parsnips are delicious, easy to make and incredibly moreish.
The default recipe serves 4-6
- 400g / 14oz parsnips
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tsp finely chopped fresh thyme (see note 1)
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F.
- Prepare the parsnips by giving them a good scrub and then peel them and remove the top and bottom of each piece. Cut the parsnips in half across the width and then cut the thicker half into another 2 pieces slicing lengthways.
- Spread the parsnips out on a baking or roasting tray. Drizzle over the olive oil and honey, scatter over the thyme and then season well (see note 2). Use clean hands or two spoons to toss the vegetables in the tray and coat them with the oil and honey.
- Roast in the oven for around 40 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- Rosemary also works great. If you don’t have any fresh herbs then you can substitute for dried. However, use half the amount as they are more pungent.
- You can mix the ingredients together in a bowl before adding to the tray which makes it easier to combine (but adds to the washing up!)
- While not necessary, you can par-boil the parsnips if you prefer (this will also make the parsnips softer and less crisp). Place in boiling salted water for 5 minutes and drain before adding to the roasting tray.
- Try throwing in a few cloves of garlic for extra flavour. Take full, unpeeled cloves and press down on them with the side of a knife to crush before adding to the tray before baking.
- Leftovers can be kept in the fridge for up to 3 days. Reheat in the oven for the best results.
- You can also freeze the veg, however, it may be soggier after freezing and reheating. Blitz them into a soup if you don’t want to reserve them as a side dish.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Category: Side
- Method: Roast
- Cuisine: Vegetables
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 112
- Fat: 5g
- Carbohydrates: 14g
- Protein: 1g
Keywords: parsnips, side dish, healthy, easy, roasted, dinner, vegetables, honey