Masala chips are an extremely flavoursome upgrade to the humble chip. They are coated in a saucy mixture of tomato, cumin and chilli powder.
The default recipe serves 2.
- 200g / 7oz frozen oven chips/fries
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 onion, finely diced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed or finely chopped (see note 1)
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder (see note 2)
- 200g / 7oz passata (similar to tomato puree if you are in the US)
- Lime wedges
- Chopped coriander
- Spring onion, sliced
- Bake the chips according to the package instructions. (see note 3)
- While the chips are in the oven, heat the oil in a large frying pan or skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook for around 5 minutes, until softened.
- Add the garlic and ginger and cook for a further minute then add the cumin and chilli powder and stir together for another 30 seconds until the spices release their fragrance.
- Tip the passata into the pan and season well. Bring to a simmer and cook for around 5 minutes until the sauce has reduced and thickened.
- Add the cooked chips to the pan and stir everything together until the chips are fully coated.
- Serve scattered with the coriander and spring onion and with the lime wedges place around the chips.
- You can alternatively use a garlic ginger paste
- If you like a lot of heat then increase the amount of chilli powder. Alternatively, if you want a milder taste then use a mild chilli powder or you can swap for sweet paprika.
- For best results place a wire rack on top of a baking tray and place the chips on top to bake. This will help them heat more evenly.
- Cooked chips are best eaten fresh, but you can make the tomato sauce in advance. Store in the fridge for up to 3 days or the freezer for up to 3 months. To use pre-made sauce, cook the chips for a few minutes less than the package instructions then toss the sauce through the fries before returning to the oven to finish baking.
- Category: Snack
- Method: Oven / Hob / Stove
- Cuisine: Indian
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 275
- Fat: 11g
- Carbohydrates: 38g
- Protein: 5g
Keywords: chips, fries, snack, Indian, side, spicy, hot, easy, quick