A smoked salmon sushi stack that tastes as beautiful as it looks! Smoked salmon, avocado and fresh cucumber on sticky sushi rice. A great way to impress guests, yet this recipe is really easy to put together. Yum!
- 30g sushi rice
- 1/2 tsp black sesame seeds, plus a pinch for garnish
- 25g cucumber, thinly sliced
- 50g avocado – ideally slightly over-ripe
- 1/4 lemon – juice only
- 50g smoked salmon
- wasabi & soy sauce to serve (optional. see note 2)
- Food presentation ring, or you can use an empty food can, with both ends removed (see note 1)
- First make the sushi rice. Rinse the rice well and then soak in cold water for 20 minutes. Drain and then add 50ml of cold water. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat to low and cook for 10 minutes. Once cooked mix in the sesame seeds and rice wine vinegar. Set aside to cool.
- Thinly slice the cucumber into disks and then slice the disks in half. Dice the avocado into small pieces and place in a bowl. Drizzle over the lemon juice and, very gently, slightly push the avocado to mash a little with the back of a fork. You want it to retain the shape of the cubes, but be of a good consistency to stick together.
- Now for the fun part – assembling everything.
- Place the food presentation ring on top of the plate you are going to use. Load in the rice first and use the back of a spoon to gently pat it down evenly. Next place the cucumber slices on top – spread evenly over the rice. Then add the avocado. Finally add the smoked salmon – again try and spread it evenly over the top.
- You can finish your creation with either a little cress, micro greens, spring onion, fresh chives and/or coriander. Sprinkle a little more sesame seeds over the top. Serve with soy sauce and wasabi paste to dip, and some pickled ginger flakes (optional)
1. You may also want to consider using a serrated knife to cut the tin in half if it’s a large one, otherwise it will be hard to see what’s going on inside.
2. Condiments not included in calorie count
- Category: Starter
- Method: Hob
- Cuisine: Japanese
- Calories: 290
- Fat: 14g
- Carbohydrates: 30g
- Protein: 15g
Keywords: smoked salmon, sushi, asian, avocado